Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 5th, 2015, 03:18 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Windows 10 Privacy- Worth reading

With the release of the final version of Windows 10, Microsoft has released a brand new Privacy Policy and Service Agreement. There are a few controversial points which you should know about. You should carefully read these to fully determine the implications to your privacy rights under Windows 10.

By downloading and installing Windows 10, you give Microsoft very broad power to collect things you do, say and create while using its software. The data collection is quite ambiguous but one thing is certain, Windows 10 will be reporting back many things that you do, to the Microsoft servers back in Redmond, Washington.

Do you have a big brother? If you upgraded to Microsoft 10, you do by default. Microsoft 10 syncs your settings and data by default with its servers. This includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website, hotspot passwords, Wi-Fi network names and passwords. If you are not comfortable with sharing your usage habits you can deactivate it from settings.

Be aware that if you download Windows 10, you empower Microsoft to disclose your data. According to the new service agreement and privacy policy, you allow Microsoft to disclose your data to anyone it wishes to. Ref: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

Cortana is Microsoft's personal virtual assistant. It is an online snooping algorithm for Microsoft. Like a gossipy neighbor, Cortana shares everything you do when you use it. Microsoft's new Privacy Statement states:

To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more."Still upgrading to Windows 10, but concerned about personal privacy?

Maybe not using the Cortana feature and turning off the unique advertising ID that tracks you and your device is enough. To amend your privacy settings in Windows 10, go to Setting menu > Privacy > general > Change privacy option.

The above was taken from a "Military Authority" Newsletter I get.
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the only question is, does turning it off means it is really turned off????
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:41 PM

Just loaded it and turned it off. Not using browser EDGE, don't like it, no file menu available, bookmarks bar hard to add to. Don't like it. Using IE instead. We will see.
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Just another reason to ensure everyone selects the Custom install option when installing/upgrading to Windows 10 (and EVERYTHING else they install). You can then turn off most of those sharing of information "features".

I don't like Edge either. Maybe when they get more add-on support (like adblocker) I will like it better. So I am back to IE too.

If you have not done so already, you might also want to change how Windows Update works on your system. By default, even if you use the Custom install option, the setting is for your system to (my bold underline added) "...get updates and send updates to PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet." PCs on the Internet!!! That's too scary for me. You can turn this off but I set mine to "PCs on my local network". Go to Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered.

Also, if you agree with the How-To Geek, I highly recommend Start10. For only $5 ($3.99 for Start8 owners), it's a bargain.
Old August 6th, 2015, 08:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Just another reason to ensure everyone selects the Custom install option when installing/upgrading to Windows 10 (and EVERYTHING else they install). You can then turn off most of those sharing of information "features".

I don't like Edge either. Maybe when they get more add-on support (like adblocker) I will like it better. So I am back to IE too.

If you have not done so already, you might also want to change how Windows Update works on your system. By default, even if you use the Custom install option, the setting is for your system to (my bold underline added) "...get updates and send updates to PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet." PCs on the Internet!!! That's too scary for me. You can turn this off but I set mine to "PCs on my local network". Go to Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered.

Also, if you agree with the How-To Geek, I highly recommend Start10. For only $5 ($3.99 for Start8 owners), it's a bargain.
or you can get classic shell which is free :-)

http://www.classicshell.net/
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:18 PM

True. I have tried both and my preference is Start8 and Start10. Though they cost money, $5 is not enough to dissuade me. In fact, I think it is well worth it, if not more. That said, Classic Shell works fine and many users like it too.

Last edited by Digerati; August 6th, 2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:36 PM

Oh and StartIsBack supports W10 now too, so that is another good option.
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Thanks changed my delivery settings. Didn't see that before. Edge is faster than IE but still don't like it. Boot time about the same as Win 8.1. But do like the tiles now from the Start menu, easier to get too if you use them.
Old August 6th, 2015, 10:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Thanks changed my delivery settings. Didn't see that before. Edge is faster than IE but still don't like it. Boot time about the same as Win 8.1. But do like the tiles now from the Start menu, easier to get too if you use them.
personally I hate the new start menu. One of the first things I did was to get rid of all the tiles, get rid of all items in the list I did not want but there are some items on it I wanted to delete but cannot. I like a clean start menu. Ended up installing classic shell again.

Looks like win10 has a lot of hidden settings. I forget how many pages I went through in order to try to limit what data microsoft collects. Not sure if I got them all.
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:05 AM

I note Brink has created a nice tutorial for uninstalling Windows and Desktop apps here.
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:24 AM

with win 10 im having a problem with screens rolling......sometimes. any suggestions
Old June 25th, 2017, 11:09 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I've got no problems with the working of Windows 10.
I have de-activated Cortana and as much feedback as is possible.
I have Big Brothers, I don't need another one.
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Banned

get updates and send updates to PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet." PCs on the Internet!!! That's too scary for me. You can turn this off but I set mine to "PCs on my local network". Go to Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered.

Last edited by nina20; April 16th, 2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:10 PM

@nina20 Why are you dredging up threads that have been dormant for 2 years? That makes no sense - unless you are trying to build up post count for some reason.
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:55 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
@nina20 Why are you dredging up threads that have been dormant for 2 years? That makes no sense - unless you are trying to build up post count for some reason.
Yeah that, and to inject a link that she wants people to click on.