Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:23 PM

PC internal components

Hello, I have a pc tower (pentium-MMX 200) i got from a friend and it boots into the start sequence fine (netbios startup?) but it gives my an error "Floppy Disk (40)" and if i try to connect a hard drive, cd-rom or floppy it will not even bootup it just has a solid red light on the front as soon as i unplug the hd, cd-rom and floppy it works fine again? any ideas why?
Old July 22nd, 2002, 02:39 AM

The first thing I'd look at with that error code & the light being on steady is the data cable. I'd bet it's on the wrong way. Here are some pointers:

1. The cable has a colored stripe (usually red) down one side. This denotes the pin 1 side.

2. The cable has three connectors (usually) one for the motherboard (or I/O card) and the other end (has a twist closest to it) is for the Primary Floppy. The center one is for the Secondary.

3. At the motherboard, you should see some pin numbering - look for the number 1 & plug the MB end of the cable with the red stripe on this side (if it has a key slot then see the following keyslot description). At the floppy drive, usually the rule is "red-to-red" where you have the red stripe facing the red wire in the power plug. Some floppies don't use this rule so look for the key slot on the floppy connector & with the key slot facing UP, then PIN 1 is on the right.

Hope this helps.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 11:34 PM

thanks

That worked thank you another thing i had trouble with later was that the hdd and cd-rom would not be reconized if both were connected, i realized that the cdrom and hdd were both set to master so i set the cd-rom to slave and it works now thanks (i posted this for info for others, not to be cocky)
Old July 23rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi

when solutions get posted, we all learn, and you make it possible for others to find the solution to same sort of problem when a search is run.

so, Thanks for that.