Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:38 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Enterprise
Wireless Network Card stability issues.

Woops, I meant to put this in Networking, could someone kindly move it for me, as I don't seem to know how! Thank-you and sorry about that!

Hello again!

This forum is always the best help so here I am once more!

I have a desktop computer located in the basement, it's a gaming rig.

I can get specific specs from it if needed but I'll give you an estimate for now:

CPU: Intel Dual Core E series (E6550, or something along those lines)
GPU: XFired dual Radeon 4870s with dual gpus on each.
PSU: OCZ 1000w
HDD: 70gb Raptor Drive 250GB Seagate

WIRELESS CARD: D-Link DWA-552

O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

My current issue is this: The wireless connectivity will fluctuate on this machine from about 1mbs to my paid for speed of 25mbs. I use SpeedTest.net to determine current speed.

I have taken both my new Laptop with wireless n and my old wireless g laptop and sat them right on the tower of this machine and am gettin top speeds on both.

The odd thing is that when I watch speedtest.net the meter may jump to max then instantly down to 10mbs, then back to 15-20mbs then down to 1mbs. Or I may not get any connectivity at all. The signal strength coming off of my ASUS RT-N56U down there is about 3-4 bars on this machine and usually 4-5 on the laptops.

The Dlink card is out of the box brand new.

What I have tried:

1. Latest Dlink drivers and latest Router firmware.

2. I re-installed windows on this machine to a fresh install(wanted to anyways) and updated it to newest updates.

3. I moved the machine around the room to see if I was passing the signal through some interference maybe.

4. I unplugged some other cards(1 gpu, etc) thinking it may have been a power issue.

One other thing I should mention is that it seems to not work at all right at start up, but if I return to the machine some time later, I have somewhat stable speeds of about 10-16mbs with occasional drops to less than 1 mbs.

Please let me know if I have been overly confusing or if you need further details.

Thanks!!

Update: Moved this desktop to the main floor of the house and it gets a perfect signal. So, I guess I want to know why would this machine get poor signal in the basement, while laptops are seeing no difference?

Last edited by <('.'<); March 27th, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Update
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi Dave,

Often the problem with wireless on a desktop rig is that the antennas are on the back of the case trapped between the case, then add some furniture on the sides and you end up with an electronically noisy environment.

Your laptops most likely did better because they were raised up above the case.

For desktops, I recommend an external antenna as you can place to minimize the interference from the desktop and other devices. Something like this one from D-Link http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=545

These are my thoughts on your issues, not sure if they help much. From your update it sounds like your all set. Let us know if you're not.

-z1p
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Enterprise
Currently we are working on moving the router to a central location in the upstairs of the house and then running a cable from that location through the floor to the basement.

We tried using a repeater and positioned it all over the place to no avail. Although the repeater's "signal strength" was better on the desktop in the basement than the router's, the desktop was still receiving VERY poor speeds. Or sometimes good speeds.

When I was watching the d-link wireless manager utility, I noticed the bars would go from full green, to none for a split second and then back to full. I think there is just too much stuff in this house.

Many wireless devices, plaster walls, stone tiled flooring, ventilation ducts.. I don't know.

Personally I don't like running wireless in basements. But in this case it needs to be done.