Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Studio Network upgrade with a few problems

Hello all,

I have 2 separate problems that have similar parts. I have a moderate amount of knowledge with networking less technical more Ive managed to do and learn a lot but might not know all the terms.

First I am upgrading reorganizing the network at the studio I work for. I started moving everything around to be better organized and not have everything stacked in the middle of the office on a desk for no reason. I first re organized and didnt change anything but lost wifi. I fixed it but cant seem to get all the computers on the same shared home group.

This is how it is currently setup. Modem in apartment with cable run through walls to basement of studio into patch panel. Patch attached to switch. At least 5 lines running up to studio office to individual wall panels around office. Then for some reason I'm not sure why one cable running from panel to a 2nd switch that splits into 6 more lines(4 computers, printer, wifi router)

I dont know why the other panels arent being used though I know one isnt working. At first I thought the problem was that I put the wifi after the switch but checked and that is how it was setup. I played with a lot of things, resetting, cables, different sources etc all with the same results.

The router looks to be working all lights fine you can see the signal excellent strength and you can connect. No internet I also can log into the router. I switched out the router same problem but eventually got the new router to work. now just cant combine the wifi network with the PC's on the switch. I tried all the tricks for setting up a home network, is it because the router is after the switch?

Also I'm going to swap the modem for a new one from comcast is there anything that can go wrong just swapping them or should i do it differently. Once that is done is there a better way to set up the office given the description above, 5 panels from 1st switch a second switch and wifi router.

2nd problem more of a question.

Im going to restructure my small home system mostly to save space and organize all the cables. Id like opinions on the best way to do it. this is what i had in mind Modem on direct line separate from cable TVs to router. I built a pfsense box to play with not sure best point in line to place it? main line to patch panel/switch 5 lines out 2st floor(desktop, media server, HTPC, Tv and NASbox) I was thinking of making the router a private wireless signal for me then adding a second wifi router for the house wifi for guests and clients. Where would it be best to set that up?

On the first floor wireless repeater with Ethernet out to 4 port hub for TV, console, and HTPC. Oh and printer somewhere on one of the wifi networks.

Whats the best way to do all this I know it seems over kill its more for fun and to play with networking then necessity. Plus I have most the needed parts already just lying around. I'd like all of the connected devices to be on the same network so they can all see each other minus the private wifi.

Thanks for all and any tips help or advice.
Mike