Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:20 AM

Help with wordpress sidebar under body problem

Hello all,

Im helping out with a webpage for a friend and im learning wordpress as I transition from blogger.
I have html and css knowledge but mostly im able to modify existing code.

For some reason the left sidbar is being pushed below the main body. The only change from the rest of the pages i can find in the code is a font size difference.

That aside I cant figure out how to edit that specific pages code. wordpress is set up a lot different then blogger and im still figuring it out.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would help out.
thanks
here is the page that is the issue.

I tried posting on the wordpress forums but didnt get much advice.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Wordpress can be difficult to troubleshoot from a strictly user point of view due to the options controlling output in the admin area.

That page you linked to has a few things...

- style tags inside the page content? Not valid html
- jquery document ready call in the middle of the page? (should be in head tag or at the bottom of the page)

the reason that side bar is being thrown out of the page is the content div is closing too early.

There is this code:
Code:
	</div><!-- #content -->
		</div><!-- #content-container -->
that second closing div tag is closing the content-container right before the sidebar starts (or rather, before that malformed style and jquery code which precede the sidebar) and therefore putting the sidebar out of the page area. That closing div tag should probably be moved after the sidebar content. However, this is one of those things that Wordpress controls. That code error should never happen in Wordpress unless you (or someone) manually altered the WordPress code.

To gain access to Wordpress templates you select Appearance > Editor in the WordPress admin area. This will should you editable pages. To add new templates, you have to upload php files to the server, which can not be done via the WordPress admin area.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM

Thanks buzz I did see that error when I looked at the page source but wasnt sure what it was.

So i think I follow what youre saying and I have access to the editor but now what I cant figure out is what PHP file the code is located in. Im use to blogger which doesnt do the code this way.

What should I be looking for? I tried the style sheet and the page.php, sidebar.php but cant seem to find that code.
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
It's really impossible to tell you what to look for. Wordpress sites are based on templates, those templates can be renamed or altered and there's no way for anyone to know unless they are viewing the WordPress admin.
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:25 AM

thanks buzz I got it fixed. Yeah I see what you mean it not easy to step into someone elses site and work on it either.