Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old July 20th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The ruling concerning the EPA will affect the federal bureaucracy across the board, a not inconsiderable conglomerate.
"The Federal Register indicates there are over 430 departments, agencies, and sub-agencies in the federal government.” That number is from 2017 so I imagine its larger now. (source: Forbes)
That article goes on to say there is no definitive way to know exactly how many federal departments, agencies, sub-agencies exist.It's a major part of the "swamp" that so badly needs draining. Since it's virtually impossible to fire a federal employee, they are not accountable for what they do, including the mistakes they make.
The estimated 4 million federal employees are busy making, implementing and enforcing ever-increasing numbers of regulations affecting our lives while Congress does nothing to oversee, review or even ensure those regulations are within the laws Congress passes.
The Supreme Court is saying that in a representative democratic republic there must be more legislative and less bureaucratic control over what is and is not regulated. I agree.
I don't have the same pessimistic view of the future as you seem to have. Humans have historically displayed amazing abilities of adaptation, innovation and invention.
Who knows? Maybe our future is, as Bezos and Musk believe and where they're spending billions, in space.
Old July 21st, 2022, 02:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks Miz, I'm sorry more have not joined this discussion, as I believe it to be important, but more on that later.

The reason I have posted this, and a few of the other threads I have started, is to try and keep this site alive. Years ago this was a very vibrant site, with many seeking help and many assisting them to solve the problems with their computers.

But hardware and software have become much more reliable coupled with the growth of social media, where any with device problems seem to seek solutions.

There was a good core of members here, some have left and many have passed on, but there are still a significant number of lurkers, as evidenced by the number of reads in these threads. By posting a variety of new threads I had hoped to draw some of them into becoming contributors. Let's see if this draws any into doing so.

I'll pop back in a few days to address the EPA and related matters once a few have, otherwise it will seem that it's only you and I who are involved and have any interest in the matters in this discussion.
Old July 21st, 2022, 04:56 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Yes, I've watched the site spend more time idle than active. I've let myself fall way behind on the technology so the help I'm still able to offer is pretty basic but I'll keep checking here daily anyway.
I did get off into the weeds in my last post. Oppressive regulation and our bloated bureaucracy have been my pet peeves for years.
The US is 2nd in the world for C02 emissions behind China which dumps about 2X more than the US. In 3rd place is India with about half of what the US emits.
The US is way behind Asia in polluting the oceans both with sewage and trash.
Our EPA is just a medium sized drop in a very large bucket. Until other countries take the atmosphere and oceans seriously, nothing will improve no matter what our EPA does or doesn't do.
I prefer to believe that Congress will take a more active role in regulating things but if they don't, their inattention will ensure the current EPA regulations addressing clean air and water stay in effect.