Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:30 AM

"unable to repair this file"

Ok, I am ready to scream! I would really appreciate someone taking the time to help me. I am not the smartest when it come to a computer.

I have the "IRC Trojan" and the "Trojan Dropper". I also had the "w32.blaster.worm" but, I think I got rid of that today. I have Norton Antivirus 2002. I just renenwed it in Feb. and didn't know I needed the latest and greatest 2004.

Anyway, I keep getting red Virus notices letting me know that I have viruses and they are unable to repair and access is denied. When I do a system scan, it says no viruses found! I have done LIve update and it still says no virus found after a scan. I followed the directions on the Symantec web site to remove the IRC Trojan and I stop at number 3 because it says to run the scan and delete all of the files infected. Again, it says I don't have any. But, I keep getting the pop up notices of infection when I restart the computer. I counted this morning, I get about 110 messages!

I have run Norton, Stinger, NoAdware, Spybot, AOL Computer check up, and several more and although there have been a few things found and repaired, the big ones remain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
What is the path to the files. Are they in your restore folder? If so, you have to disable your restore, reboot then turn your restore points back on.
Old July 24th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Norton also quarantines any files that it can't repair and/or delete. Open your Norton panel by double clicking the Norton icon in the taskbar, click on "reports", then "quarantined items" and see if there is anything there. If there is, select all and delete.