Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:26 PM

Rugby Cup

Someone has decided to host a Rugby World Cup on 1 day notice; there was nothing in the paper or ESPN or anywhere else prior to today.

If I was to turn it on, *** would I be looking at?

I (and prolly 99.9% of all Americans) don't know the first thing about it. Are there points? Is there someone in charge? Why do the teams kick the ball at random times? Are there downs or a play clock?

And how did the US team get the 13th seed when it isn't an organized sport anywhere? There aren't rugby Little Leagues, school teams, travel organizations, coverage in the news, none of that.
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
No idea about the competition you mentioned but this site may let you know a little of the history and rules of the game. Our resident expert on Rugby, Mr Bean, may pop in to answer any specific questions on the game.

Take a look at his signature, which reads, ""This is great stuff... Phil Bennett covering, chased by Alistair Scowen... brilliant... Oh, that’s brilliant! John Williams, Brian Williams ...Pullin, John Dawes ...Great dummy! ...David, Tom David ...the half way line ...Brilliant by Quinnell! This is Gareth Edwards! ...A dramatic start! ...what a score! ...Oh, that fellow Edwards!!" Cliff Morgan"
This is all about Rugby.
Old September 21st, 2019, 04:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
Someone has decided to host a Rugby World Cup on 1 day notice; there was nothing in the paper or ESPN or anywhere else prior to today.

If I was to turn it on, *** would I be looking at?

I (and prolly 99.9% of all Americans) don't know the first thing about it. Are there points? Is there someone in charge? Why do the teams kick the ball at random times? Are there downs or a play clock?

And how did the US team get the 13th seed when it isn't an organized sport anywhere? There aren't rugby Little Leagues, school teams, travel organizations, coverage in the news, none of that.
You won't see it promoted on ESPN simply because it's being shown on NBC Sports, who have been promoting it for quite a while now. Hopefully ESPN will show the results at least in their ticker tape at the bottom of the screen. NBC has been showing plenty of rugby for a few years now, just remember, there's more sports channels available in the US, than ESPN.
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
You won't see it promoted on ESPN simply because it's being shown on NBC Sports, who have been promoting it for quite a while now. Hopefully ESPN will show the results at least in their ticker tape at the bottom of the screen. NBC has been showing plenty of rugby for a few years now, just remember, there's more sports channels available in the US, than ESPN.
Prolly an overestimation. In my experience ESPN won't hump a property it does not have rights to, but it won't pretend an event like the Masters or the Stanley Cup Final doesn't exist and never mention it.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:22 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
https://www.espn.com/rugby/
Old September 23rd, 2019, 10:38 AM

I know little about Rugby but always like to see that scrum stuff. Absolutely wacky.

Old September 23rd, 2019, 04:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
Prolly an overestimation. In my experience ESPN won't hump a property it does not have rights to, but it won't pretend an event like the Masters or the Stanley Cup Final doesn't exist and never mention it.
You do know there's more than one sports channel available? I'm not sure why you keep criticizing ESPN. I don't recall Fox Sports mentioning the Stanley Cup Finals or Rugby, or even the EPL, another sport that ESPN rarely mentions.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
I'm not sure why you keep criticizing ESPN. I don't recall Fox Sports mentioning the Stanley Cup Finals or Rugby, or even the EPL, another sport that ESPN rarely mentions.
I'm not criticizing ESPN -- at least for that.

It also seems to me that the reason you don't hear much about niche sports on Fox is that it doesn't have a Sports Center type show. It has a MLB Whiparound and talking heads but not much in the way of anything goes programs.

That you don't hear about the EPL does seem a little strange since Fox/Murdoch also had control of Sky Sports in the UK, so it isn't that it had to add people to get a handle on it. Maybe it has more to do with it being Rupert Murdoch than editorial.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
No idea about the competition you mentioned but www.britannica.com/sports/rugby may let you know a little of the history and rules of the game.
Thanks but the info was superficial. I guess someone has to talk a noob through it.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:54 PM

I searched for "rugby for dummies" and found what looks like a detailed explanation for the rugby novice at Instructables
Old September 24th, 2019, 03:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

That looks good, also Total Noob, you might like to tale a look at https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ for details of the forthcoming matches and details where you may be able to view one.
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
I searched for "rugby for dummies" and found what looks like a detailed explanation for the rugby novice at Instructables
No help there. It identifies the positions/numbers, it describes the set pieces, and it indicates the line markings, but there was nothing about what is going on or what the rules are during open play.

Is there blocking, like the NFL? Why would a team kick? Like that.

The content reminds me of a time when we were in Newfoundland. A local treat there is a "donair" and you order it in pizzeria. We had not heard of it before, so we asked the waitress, "What's a donair?"

It turns out a donair is a dish made of donair meat, donair sauce, donair cheese, donair vegetables, and a donair crust.

She was perfectly correct and explained it perfectly, and we didn't know any more about it than we had before.
Old October 6th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

New Zealand - Namibia is on NBC stations in the US right now. Fun to watch, since I don't have a clue what's happening (24 - 9 after the first 25 minutes of play).
Old October 6th, 2019, 09:12 PM

Update - 59 - 9 All Blacks.
Old October 6th, 2019, 09:24 PM

71 - 9. I think NZ might win...