Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old November 8th, 2019, 05:01 PM

Problem with Samsung Smart TV

I bought a 65 inch curved Samsung Smart TV two years ago, and gradually started introducing myself to the various apps that came with it and have been added along the way.

I eventually discovered that the signal from our router tends to vary in strength, especially in inclement weather, and that because the TV is placed as far away from the router as it can be in the house, that sometimes I lost the router signal and sometimes the signal was so weak that I encountered a degraded picture or buffering. Our ISP, Verizon, does not offer a stronger router, and what we have is proprietary so we can't replace it with something store bought.

To combat that, I bought a relatively inexpensive D-link DAP 1320 plug in wifi extender to relay the signal. There's a reasonably cumbersome process to get that going, but once I did it and found the right place to put it, the relay creates its own network signal, and the relayed signal is actually pretty strong. Amazon Prime and Netflix work great with the relay.

But Youtube, Pluto, MLB.tv, and all the others do not work at all. I always get a not-hooked-up-to-the-internet error message. To make them work -- with the choppy signal from the router -- I have to switch back from the relay network to the router network and enter the 16 or so random character password every time because the TV, unlike a computer or phone, will not save any wifi access passwords and there does not appear to be an option to save passwords in the settings. And since the signal is so strong with the cheap relay, it seems unlikely that a more expensive one changes the refusal of the other apps to accept the same situation albeit with a more expensive relay.

I was with Samsung's Tech Support for a half hour, and it had no idea why some apps worked off the relay while others did not or why the TV could not hold a password for a switched-to network. Maybe I just got a weak TS agent.

Anyone have any thoughts on making TV viewing more seemless?

Last edited by Total Noob; November 8th, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old November 10th, 2019, 08:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if you are losing signal during bad weather, it is not a router issue, it is a service provider issue.

as far as youtube, pluto, mlb, do they work on your computer?
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
if you are losing signal during bad weather, it is not a router issue, it is a service provider issue.
Disagree. Not having trouble in some parts of the house or with other devices that aren't using services that take as much bandwidth as does HD tv. Our ISP is crap but that is not one of the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
as far as youtube, pluto, mlb, do they work on your computer?
Youtube works; the others I have not tried. These are for being stretched out on the couch, not upright at my desk. However, I expect they work fine.
Old November 12th, 2019, 11:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

mm

Last edited by renegade600; November 12th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
Our ISP is crap but that is not one of the problems.
How do you know that you ISP isn't one of the problems, especially since you admitted that it's crap? Have you even bothered calling them for help? I don't understand why you called Samsung's Tech Support, and not your ISP! Also, you say you bought a cheap WiFi Extender, and can't think why a more expensive one would be any better. They make different grades of equipment for a reason. We had to buy one for our home, and after doing a little research we went with a mid priced one, because of reviews written about it compared to cheaper ones. As for setting it up, the thing virtually set itself up, just need a couple of buttons pressed, the instructions were easy to read, but by the time I'd read them, it had already set itself up. On top of that, we have never had to sign into anything, like the way it seems you do. As many regular folks here at CTH can tell you, I'm as cheap as they come.....But it appears I have some competition!!

So let's round this up. You have a crappy ISP, and you bought a cheap WiFi Extender. Yet with the problem you're having, you called Samsung Tech Support to help solve the problem, and because they didn't help, you stated that maybe you just got a weak TS agent! Maybe you were calling the wrong people, to be helping you!!
Old November 16th, 2019, 01:37 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

@Dan - your original comment was valid.
Old November 16th, 2019, 02:47 AM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You need to check the TX and RX signal levels you're getting at your modem. It should tell you in your modem settings and specs.