Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:57 AM

Internet cuts out, though 'connected' -Moved by Murf

Hello, and thanks for your help.

Ive been having a horrible time with my internet wifi connection. Its been fine for years then started going wrong.

At home we have one mac laptop, one win 7 laptop and my old XP SP3 box, and its here where the problem is.(laptops have no problem)

I had the same router, supplied by my ISP for a few years, and the original problems were put down to that, so my ISP has sent me a new 'top of their range' one.

Im getting a strong connection, and good speeds... but only for a couple of minutes before the connection just cuts out. Annoyingly it appears to still be connected, but its definitely dead. a repair fixes it most days, but the other strange thing is that it seems that the more bandwidth i use, the quicker the connection cuts out.

I need to download large files for work, and i never manage to get to the end of a download before it cuts.

SO im sure you'll ask for more info, but heres something to get going with:

From reading around i thought maybe it was to do with leases? not sure if that applies to me

Any help very appreciated...

By the way i dont know that much about computers, so please if you have any advice could you make it clear to follow - thank you

Last edited by niksativa; June 23rd, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Am I beyond help?
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:47 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
No but moving this to the Network forum should get help there. I will notify the Network Forum MOD.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
The first thing is that a wireless connection will always be less reliable than a wired one, so if you can go wired, do it.
But,lets assume you can't ...

Wireless dropping off can be a tough one, so we'll start with some basics.

In the windows device manager find the wireless adapter and change its power management so that it will not be disabled to save power.

It will help to know the exact make and model of the router.

Are you using any cordless phones or blue tooth devices?

How is the deskyop located in relation to the router?
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
No but moving this to the Network forum should get help there. I will notify the Network Forum MOD.
Thanks Murf
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p View Post
The first thing is that a wireless connection will always be less reliable than a wired one, so if you can go wired, do it.
But,lets assume you can't ...
Hi Thanks z1p - I know this is hard, epsecially across a board, but thanks for trying. Yep, unfortunately this machine has to be wifi

Quote:
Wireless dropping off can be a tough one, so we'll start with some basics.

In the windows device manager find the wireless adapter and change its power management so that it will not be disabled to save power.
Power Save Mode is Disabled

While we're in here, I did see something called IBSS 54g(tm) Mode and theres a value for 54g Auto, 54g Performance, 54g LRS, and 802.11b only.

Im being told my connection has a potential transfer rate is 54 mbits a sec , and when i download ive even hit 7mbs - very fast - I think my ISP deal is for 5mbs, and thats what i get as a maximum with my laptops.

I did try switching to 802.11b only, but it still cut out...

Quote:
It will help to know the exact make and model of the router.
Its called a Huawei HG532 router, perhaps made especially for TalkTalk (ISP)
Are you using any cordless phones or blue tooth devices?[/QUOTE]
no
Quote:
How is the deskyop located in relation to the router?
its not exactly close, PC is upstairs, but its always been fine in the past - not a strong signal, but strong enough - 40% maybe.

Im in London and recently theres been a lot more interference from competing signals, but im on channel 1 and the band is busy around 6/7
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:46 AM

im getting the impression that uploads dont disconnect the connection as much as downloads/streaming do. Im going to do some tests tomorrow and try and time the uploads and downloads...
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM

yes, i can report that ive been uploading files to my server for over an hour with no drop outs. I think tried to download a file and immediately got a drop out.

it is a similar case with browsing - i can sometimes browse without a drop-out for a bit, but a big picture or streaming video create the drop out - certainly a download does before too long.

does this help explain what's happening?
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Also Ive managed to borrow a very long network cable and pluged in direct to the router and there are no drop outs - its definitely a wifi problem.

Unfortunately I have to have wifi on this machine, otherwise I'd just keep on with the network cable...
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Ive replaced the USB cable that goes from the computer to the wifi dongle device and amazingly that seems to have fixed it! I also set the router to Band B only- but Id tried that before and it didnt stop the drop outs.

anyhow, i hope this thread might be of some use to future generations

FIXED