Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:10 AM

Cool Loss of sound - Windows 10 desktop

I recently lost all sound on my desktop that is running Windows 10. I have no idea why this occurred. I recently installed Roxio software for converting video files to DVDs, but the sound was fine after I had done that. I have not, that I can recall, download/installed any other software other than that.

My system is, as mentioned, running Windows 10.

I have an AMD A8-3800 APV at 2.40 ghz
16 GB of RAM
64 bit Windows operation system.

Haven't had to bother you guys in a LONG time...am in desperate need of help...someone? ANYONE???

THanks,

The THom-Guy
Old July 16th, 2019, 09:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Make sure you did not accidentally MUTE it. Is the Speaker ICON shown next to the clock? Is there a "X" by it?? Open it is the volume slide up?

START>Device Manager>

Find the Sound Card and open it then click on Driver Tab. Will be under Sound, video and game controllers

Probably have several entries there, right click on probably "High Definition Audio Device" This will depend on what sound device you are using.

Right click then click on Update Driver, let it search may say the current driver is already installed. Then on properties click on Hardware Changes. See if anything happens?

If there are any yellow or red marks next to any entry in Sound then you need to reinstall the driver.
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:31 AM

I hope you can fix this easily enough my friend!!!

Im on Win98se and I lost my sound once and didnt have it for months,I didnt know what was wrong.....

One day I ran SFC and it said my sound card driver files were deleted! -- It restored them and all was ok.......

I had SYSTRAY disabled which may have caused that...... I HAVENT DISABLED IT SINCE IN CASE!!!

Good luck getting your sound back

Last edited by The Dude; July 17th, 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old August 11th, 2019, 06:46 AM

Cool Loss of sound - revisited!

Okay, I screwed my initial reply up and deleted everything I'd typed!!! Okay, to make it brief - everything says all is well with my sound setup - driver is most current, no issues with any of my hardware, I did NOT accidentally MUTE my system either!!! (WHEW on that last one!!!)

As an additional bit of information, I did install an update to some video editing software I use that's from a site called AVS4YOU...I like their stuff a lot and use various software titles of theirs to burn DVDs and CDs as well as edit and rework video files...I'm in touch with them, but I have a feeling they're not going to be very helpful...SO, if ANYBODY has some additional thoughts, please share them - I've got to get this fixed!!!

Thanks a TON!!!

The THom-Guy
Old August 11th, 2019, 02:12 PM

Try this:

https://www.avs4you.com/Guides/How-t...-programs.aspx

Within the AVS Video Editor

https://onlinehelp.avs4you.com/AVS-V...oundtrack.aspx

Also could be a Codec problem
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:58 AM

Loss of sound - an attempt...

Murf:

I attempted both of your suggested possible solutions and neither one of them worked...still no sound....I've tried putting music CDs in my drives - no sound...DVDs - picture but no sound...

So, what are codecs and what do they do AND how do I fix them if there is a problem with them???

Thanks for all your help so far - I'm hoping you'll find the right path for me to follow here...otherwise, I guess I could take it to a local computer guy and see if he can find out why I have no sound...(I'd rather do it myself, if at all possible...soooo....)

The Thom-Guy
Old August 20th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Lets try this:

Right click the Start button, select Device Manager, and right click the Sound Driver, select Properties and browse to the Driver TAB. Press the Roll Back Driver option if available and Windows 10 will begin the process. If no option to roll back then either hit Update or Reinstall.

2nd In device manager expand the Sound, video games and controllers section. If you spot IDT High Definition Audio Codec, right click and select Update Driver Software.

What is the make and model of your computer????
Old September 1st, 2019, 06:32 AM

Latest attempts to fix...

Murf:

Everything I check says all my software and/or codecs are the most current ones that should be installed and that everything is working as it should.

My computer is an HP Pavilion...AMD A8-3800 APU w/Radeon HD Graphics/2.40ghz. 16GB of ram...64 bit OS, x64 based processor.

If you need anything else, please let me know!

Thanks a ton!

THe Thom-Guy
Old September 1st, 2019, 01:39 PM

Hmmm so device manager shows your sound card is enabled and working as it should.....

How about In control panel/Multimedia?

Is the right sound source selected there??
Old September 1st, 2019, 03:19 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
If you haven't already checked at the back of the computer make sure you're speaker cables are connected, and haven't been jarred loose.
Old September 1st, 2019, 03:37 PM

Cool Everything checked...as far as I know!

Okay...first off - no "multimedia" option available for me to check out in Control Panel...Don't know why, but, if there is such an option - I'm not seeing it...I did check all my connections for my external speakers...everything is as it should be...am just about to give up on trying to find out what in heavens name is going on here and just go back to watching "silent movies"!!!

Anywho, anything else gang???

The THom-Guy
Old September 1st, 2019, 03:47 PM

Last resort you might want to check in BIOS to make sure that audio is on Auto or Enabled.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 11:07 AM

I found this link my friend,maybe it will help you

www.lifewire.com/fix-no-sound-windows-10-4587022
Old September 4th, 2019, 07:10 AM

Cool Still no sound...

IPR512 - how do I check the bios??? I've done some stuff with the BIOS (not on this computer) many years ago...a refresher would be helpful! (Thanks for your patience...)

The Dude - I followed your link and the suggestions within that link and none of them helped, sadly....appreciate the helpful hint though....

Anybody else with any other thoughts regarding my loss of sound????

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far,

The THom-Guy
Old September 4th, 2019, 10:18 AM

ThomGuy
Give this a try.
https://itstillworks.com/how-to-enab...ios-10028.html