Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 21st, 2020, 06:47 AM

New PC

Question. Is not a new Windows 10 PC supposed to come with a Windows 10 disc and product key. What if I want to re-install the OS. Am I not entitled to a copy of the Windows OS when I purchase a new PC. Or has something changed in recent years. I have always built my own PC’s and have always purchased my own copies of Windows so it has been a while since I actually bought a new in the box PC. What the heck is going on!
Thanx
Jim
Old April 21st, 2020, 03:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I don't believe any computer manufacturers sell their product, without the OS already being installed. As to your question about an OS disc, buying a computer, and building your own computer, are two different things. Shouldn't you have asked the question about an OS disc before buying, or while looking into buying a computer? Most folks nowadays, create a "recovery disc" that'll set your PC back to its' original settings.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can always purchase a recovery disk from the manufacturer. dell will give it free if the computer is still under warranty. all new computers come with recover partitions and one of the first steps a user should do is to create a recovery disk.
Old April 21st, 2020, 07:51 PM

I have a recovery partition on the PC but it does not work. I am returning this PC.
Thanx for your replies
Jim
Old April 21st, 2020, 08:17 PM

O/S: Linux
I am pretty sure that the Win 10 disc (home and pro same disc) is available at the MS site in the event of a crash you get an option to repair or reinstall the system when up and running it reports the key to MS if valid no problem.
Old April 21st, 2020, 08:27 PM

Yeah I tried both. I tried running the repair utility and reinstalling from the recovery partition. Got error messages both times. Even ran a scan of the HD to rule out HD corruption and/or damage. I even tried installing Win 7 and the DVD ROM would not read the disc. I just stalled every time. It is a cheap PC that I purchased from Wal-Mart just to get me by until I get parts to repair my good one.
Thanx Jaytee
Jim
Old April 22nd, 2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Is not a new Windows 10 PC supposed to come with a Windows 10 disc and product key.
No. In fact it has been years since they did.

And there are actually some pretty good reasons for this. While it only costs a couple dollars to actually make a single disk, it costs a whole lot more for the entire logistics to have a disk production line. There is the logistics of transporting and inventories for blank disks, the sleeves they go in once pressed, the process to make sure a disk is included in the computer box and more.

And then there's the logistics involved in obtaining the Windows installation files from Microsoft, and the cost of the very expensive equipment to make the disks.

All that's just to make sure a disk is put in each box. If they did that, your computer would surely cost more.

But also Windows is a "dynamic" program - there are updates and patches applied every month, and major upgrades at least once a year. Windows is constantly changing and evolving. This means your installation disk will start out behind in updates, and just keep getting further and further behind.

This is why when you first started your new computer, you should have been prompted to make your own disk. There should also be a recovery partition on your computer's drive. And of course, you should be keeping regular and current backups anyway.

You should have been given the unique key codes with your new computer - likely on a sticker attached to your computer somewhere. If not, there are programs like Belarc Advisor you can use to retrieve it.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 06:57 PM

Thank you for your reply Digerati. Unfortunately I already returned the PC. I am just going to have to use my cell phone in the interim while waiting for parts ordered for my other PC. They will be here soon.
Thanks again
Jim