Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Running Ubuntu via VirtualBox

Yesterday, I installed VirtualBox and decided to run Ubuntu 8.10 via VirtualBox. I configured the settings and used 256MB of "virtual RAM" of 1.0 GB and 30 GB of virtual disk space on my USB hard drive. Once I installed Ubuntu on VirtualBox via CD, it goes normally, but when it goes to "scanning mirror" or something at 82%, it froze, so I forced to shut down the virtualbox. I have to bump it up to 400-512 MB, but I can't becuase that would cause my computer to go havoc, so I will have to upgrade the RAM to 2.0 GB on my laptop (by replacing the 2x512MB memory sticks with 2x1.0 GB memory sticks). Is there any recommdations for RAM, processor, graphics card, etc to run Ubuntu 8.10 on VirtualBox when using Windows Vista? Do I have to disable the Areo features?

Last edited by rynprov; December 28th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Hi Ryan.
Bear in mind that at 1Gb you are running the bare minimum for Vista, then you have on-board Intel graphics which pinches some of that system RAM for video, more so when you are running Aero.
That said, I have run Ubuntu 8.10 on XP with Sun's VirtualBox with 256MB and it worked OK.
Have you enabled the NIC in the VirtualBox settings for that VM? Freezing at scanning mirror indicates it may be looking for updates on the internet and failing to find the Ubuntu repositories.