Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:40 AM

Question laptop problem

I've been ill in bed and using my laptop quite a bit. After a lightning storm I am unable to get on line anymore. Just as a general thing without seeing it....what is likely to be the problem here? Do you think it's a fried modem? Have not been able to get it checked out yet and don't know if I want to put too much money into this machine.
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Is your modem a wireless one or use the phone line???

What operating system???
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:10 AM

The laptop is connected to the telephone line in the wall. It has Win 98 on it.
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Right click on "My Computer" (your desktop), then go to "Properties" then go to "Device Manager"

Now scroll down is there an entry something about the Modem, if so click on the + sign next to it to expand it, if there is an entry under that right click on it and go to properties, does it say it is working properly? Is there a "Yellow" or "Red" mark by it?
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Thank you so much for your time and trouble! I can't wait to go down and try this. You really are a Godsend to be helping people like this.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:46 AM

Murph,

When I followed your direction to the "modem" line in the device manager under properties ....there was a yellow telephone next to the word "modem".

I then tried to get on line again. Got a window saying " Please wait while Windows prepares your computer for standby. Then a small stand-by window opened in the center of my screen with nothing in it.

I then tried to log on to AOL. At first it lit up with a connection and then stopped. Message: AOL was unable to establish a connection.....several times. Prior to the lightning I was having trouble staying on line for more than close to half an hour. I would be thrown off and have to reboot. Does this sound like the battery? Someone told me that it charges when it is plugged in to the wall but not on line. Is this true?

Connie