Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Sync fonts between PC's?

Hello everyone,

I have been put on a project at work that I can't seem to complete properly. I provide tech support for 6 users at a publishing company and they have requested that all 6 machines have the exact same fonts installed on them, so that they can swap InDesign documents without conflict.

Is there a good way to do this??

Some background:

- My first mistake was collecting the fonts from each system and placing them all in one place, deleting the duplicates, and copying the entire batch back into the Fonts directory of each system. NOT good, I know.

- I know how to install/uninstall fonts, but I keep running into the issue of fonts that work in some programs and not others, or installing fonts that just plain don't work at all.

- I've got a situation now where none of the computers seem to have the fonts they need, and each system seems to have responded differently to the changes I've made.

Bottom line: I am the only IT guy at this company willing to TRY and make this work, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm in trouble.

Please help if you can.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM

O/S: MacOS
Certain progs come with their own fonts as Im sure you know. Therefore, if you install some fonts that are particular to a specific program, they will work but if the prog is not installed then the font will not work. So make sure that the particular prog is installed on all PC,s

This is basic stuff that Im sure you are fully aware of but sometimes if you have been staring at something for weeks then it becomes nonsense

Hope u are well Hypno

PS please feel free to give me a kick if I have posted the obvious which you have already tried
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

I thought inDesign embedded fonts by default to make it easy to move between computers?
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
Certain progs come with their own fonts as Im sure you know. Therefore, if you install some fonts that are particular to a specific program, they will work but if the prog is not installed then the font will not work. So make sure that the particular prog is installed on all PC,s
All users are primarily working within InDesign CS2. I'm not sure what fonts, if any, come with CS2, but I would have to assume that they all have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
I thought inDesign embedded fonts by default to make it easy to move between computers?
That may very well be the case, I really don't know.

I have been provided the Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 2002 Font List, which apparently contains the names of all of the fonts that are needed here. I suppose I need a fool proof way to do two things:

- Acquire these fonts and install them successfully on one machine.

- Replicate this process on the remaining machines.

As I mentioned in my first post, I am the only one here willing to even attempt this task. Everyone else simply loathes fonts and I'm starting to see why. Thanks for your help so far, guys.
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM

O/S: MacOS
Does anything HERE help?
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
Does anything HERE help?
Hm. Thanks, but I don't see anything there that has helped. The information did spark a few ideas, that were unsuccessful, unfortunately.

I feel like if I could just get the fonts installed properly on each machine, they would work just fine within InDesign.

I tried installing Font Expert 2009, and removing all non-system fonts, then installing the font set that I have, but that was only partially successful, and a lot of fonts were missing in InDesign, despite being reported as installed.