Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Computer info

Every month I write a computer article for the local paper. Circulation around 8,000. Been doing it for 11 years, and kinda running out of new stuff to provide. Looking for some fun ideas to write about for next month, so any tips are welcome.
Old April 10th, 2020, 04:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I think it great that you have been doing this for your community, is the paper on line and if so could you post a link to previous articles to give us an idea of the type of suggestions we could make.

In the meantime perhaps you could consider some simple drawing programs that kids could use when they are stuck at home. A few easy instructions or a link to some tutorials might help.
Old April 11th, 2020, 10:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

A starting point could be Tux Paint, read a bit about it : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux_Paint
And download it from: http://www.tuxpaint.org/download/windows/
Old April 11th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Have to stay incognito here so can't link to any paper stuff (and don't want to invite kibitzing anyway). That Tux item sounds like a good one. Had someone who's kid used it already. I try to avoid publishing website links, because as a written article, I doubt many would take time to type the site into their address bars, and many of my readers don't know what that even means.

Typical - What browser do you use? Answer - Yahoo, Google, AOL, MSN etc.
Old April 11th, 2020, 08:44 PM

How about something on using telemedicine?
It's just starting to get some national publicity but I expect can be intimidating for the less computer savvy.

Edit: I realize a telemedicine consult is really just a video call but as soon as the "medicine" suffix is added, panic sets in.
My sister-in-law reacted to the suggestion with first, wide-eyed shock and, second, "My phone won't do that." She has an iPhone.
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:15 PM

Going to submit my article tomorrow so thanks for the ideas.
Old April 15th, 2020, 09:05 PM

O/S: Linux
Hi Tom,
You may wish to include Alice in your publication. A 3D computer learning environment at middle school up to University students.
https://www.alice.org/
Old April 16th, 2020, 12:55 PM

Good idea Jaytee. Included that and Tux Paint. Miz, I skipped any reference to current times and their problems, like tele-stuff, and didn't even mention wacky new stuff like contact tracing.
Old April 24th, 2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Every month I write a computer article for the local paper. Circulation around 8,000. Been doing it for 11 years, and kinda running out of new stuff to provide. Looking for some fun ideas to write about for next month, so any tips are welcome.
Members will attest to the fact I am not a fan of Linux, but a piece about how it can be used to recover data from a computer that has lost Windows once and for all but is not otherwise damaged would be useful. There's no reason to bring in a computer for repairs and data salvage for a few hundred bucks just to migrate it to the new computer especially if you are not taxing it with complex jobs meant for solid, PC-only, paid apps such as Photo-shop, digital video editing, etc.

My father who only surfs the Internet and occasionally sends hard copy letters got two more years with Ubuntu (specifically not a fan of that) on his desktop until the mechanical parts started failing, leaving plenty of time to back up all his stuff until I could convince him to move to a laptop.

Another piece would be about the dangers of trading or selling computers. I bought a second hand laptop in an emergency and was told by the storefront business that sold it that it had been through a clean install of Win 10. But in doing a deep clean with no charge free (as in open source) software, I recovered a lot of company and personal data from the previous user, an employee at a nice sized company with some trade secrets. So basically, no selling of any computer unless the hard drive is destroyed.

Last edited by Total Noob; April 24th, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old April 24th, 2020, 10:31 PM

How to make a simple data recovery from Windows with a Linux live media is well documented already.
Old April 26th, 2020, 06:08 PM

TN, I am trying to provide a positive info article, so not hunting down any computer gopher holes. And what you mention is nothing unsolved. Jaytee just offered some, and instead of destroying a hard drive anyone can just zero out the drive, to step on any older data, like using this software (among many available).
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
complex jobs meant for solid, PC-only, paid apps such as Photo-shop, digital video editing, etc.
Quite honestly TN this is a line of total bovine scatology (thanks Norman) there are many open source (not Linux) applications in these and many other fields that are the equal or better than the expensive proprietary brands..
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
If you are interested these two learning environments are quite fun for kids and adults alike
take a look to see if you think them worthy of a line or two..

https://sgimenez.github.io/laby/
or:
https://scratch.mit.edu/download
May be worth a look can also run in browser if required
Old April 28th, 2020, 05:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
How about some real stupid computer jokes?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jokes.pdf (101.2 KB, 11 views)
Old April 28th, 2020, 09:49 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Damn that looks familiar.