Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Mapped Network Drive wants password -- there isn't one!

So I've been having this issue periodically with systems at work. Hopefully someone can help. (sorry if this belongs in the Networking forum)

BACKGROUND

We have a Buffalo file server that hosts many shared folders. The one in question is called design and does NOT have access restrictions of any kind. Any system on the network can access the entire share without the need for a username or password.

WHAT HAPPENS

There is a folder within the design share that users upload files to in order to share them with one another (InDesign files and such). Periodically and seemingly randomly, one system or another will ask the user for a username and password to access the share. Of course, nothing you enter in this window allows you access.

WHAT I'VE DONE

The drive is mapped to drive letter M: on each system. I run the following command:

net use M: /delete

...and recreate the drive mapping from scratch, again providing no username or password, and I get right in.

WHAT I NEED

I need a way to prevent this from happening. The users I support can't be bothered to run commands and create mapped drives every time this happens.

Also, it is not feasible to add access restrictions to this shared folder.

Does anyone know why this may be happening?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Never found a fix. I ended up writing a small batch file with the commands to disconnect and recreate the drive mapping.