Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Best CPU Heatsink/fan

after a new build I chose to use the standard supplied heatsing fan for my AMD FX 8 core 8150 processor but I keep getting problems with overheating.

I'm contemplating changing the heatsink and getting rid of the self adhesive contact strips I bought on Amazon

Any recommendations?
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

I prefer Zalman heatsinks/fans for air cooling, They are a bit pricey compared to others, but they are pure copper which is more efficient at heat transfer than the others with aluminum fins. I would also use AS5 (arctic silver) for the thermal grease.
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
self adhesive contact strips do not provide the heat transfer as well as Thermal compound. I would try Artic Silver first before investing in another cooler. Most of the Heatsink/fans supplied with a processor work well
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I would try Artic Silver first before investing in another cooler. Most of the Heatsink/fans supplied with a processor work well
Once again, I agree 100% with Murf.

Unfortunately, you did not tell us your temps, or what your heat-related problems are. Note there are many things that manifest into the same symptoms caused by excessive heat. If overclocking, stop, until this is resolved.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces before applying a new layer of TIM (thermal interface material). And remember, the best heat transfer occurs with direct surface-to-surface contact and the purpose of TIM is to fill ONLY the microscopic pits and valleys in those mating surfaces to push out any insulating air. Any excess TIM is in the way, and counterproductive to the heat transfer process. So you want the thinnest layer possible, while still getting full coverage.

Also, it is imperative to remember it is the case's responsibility to rid the interior of heat by providing an adequate flow of cool air through the case. The CPU fan need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow. So if your CPU is overheating, you need to look at case cooling first and consider adding more fans, or replacing the existing fans with larger fans that move more air. Or, get a better case that has lots of large fan support.

Finally, you did not mention which AMD FX 8 core 8150 you have but understand if this CPU came boxed with a supplied heatsink fan assembly, then the AMD CPU Warranty is crystal clear:
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."
If you don't care about your warranties, and many enthusiasts don't, that's fine, be we all need to know the terms and understand the consequences.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:35 AM

Wow some excellent replies there peeps.

I think Digrati may have hit the nail on the head here.

The wife insists the case is tucked away in a cupboard and I suspect this is one of the reasons I don't get a good air supply. Temps on no load are easily 40 deg C before any heavy graphics are in play. The case is Casecom 6788 All Black Case with 2 fans front and back. (supplied and Xilence Black 120mm Case Fan - 4pin with 3pin adaptor.
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM

40°C is quite cool. I don't start to worry until my CPU temps exceed and stick above 60°C though in reality, most modern CPUs can run hotter without damage, stability issues start to creep in above those temps.

Of course 40°C while idle does not tell us what happens when under a load, but when starting at 40°, there is a lot of headroom - a very good thing.

Is the case interior clean of heat trapping dust?

I actually like the front and rear fan configuration, assuming the rear fan is separate from the PSU fan. PSU fans should not be counted as case cooling - even though they do help draw in some cool air.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM

My son insists on running with the side cover off and uses an external fan to blow cooler air into the 'cupboard' and so it needs a regular spring clean re dust blocking the fins in the heatsink etc.

Is there any freeware which will show you processor temperatures while on the desktop for instance?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM

Blasting desk fan into the side of the case is something I do to test for heat problems. It works.

Quote:
Is there any freeware which will show you processor temperatures while on the desktop for instance?
Many. Here's my canned text on that:
Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, or you prefer something different, I use and recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD CPUs, or RealTemp for Intels. SpeedFan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Open Hardware Monitor is also becoming very popular. Unfortunately, I have found that these programs often have problems properly labeling the sensor they are reading. The temperatures shown are as accurate as the inexpensive, low-tech sensors will allow, but it may say System Fan instead of CPU Fan. Or, they may just say something like Temp 1, Temp 2, Temp 3, etc. Fortunately, the programs do allow you to edit the labels.

I use Everest and Speccy (from the makers of CCleaner) to verify the temperatures (as they tend to be accurate matching sensor to label), then edit the label in the monitoring program. HWMonitor, from the makers of CPUID is also very informative. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. In Speccy, the summary page reports the CPU, motherboard (system/chipset), drive (if supported by the drive) and graphics temps. Unfortunately, HWMonitor, Speccy and Everest don't minimize to the system tray to show temperatures in real-time. Also note due to different sampling frequencies and interpreting algorithms used by the various monitoring programs, one program may show 46°C for the CPU while the other shows 45°C. They will be close but may not be exactly the same. So double-check to be sure you label accurately, if relabeling is required.

You can often check but must not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS Setup Menu, if your BIOS version supports motherboard monitoring in the Setup Menu. While they are likely correct and accurately labeled in the BIOS Setup Menu, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being even marginally taxed. But if the temps are high in the BIOS Setup Menu, you have a problem that needs to be corrected immediately.

I get nervous when CPU temperatures hit and stay above 60°C. While most CPUs are capable operating at higher temps, system stability issues arise and long term exposure to very warm temperatures increases component aging (including the CPU socket and surrounding devices). GPU (graphics processing unit) temperatures typically run considerably warmer with 80°C not uncommon.
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
The processor is the single most complex component in any PC
Well, saying just "processor" is being pretty vague. This topic is about the CPU - so I am going out on a limb and assume (a possible trap, I know) you meant the central processor unit (CPU). And in that case, I have to disagree - conditionally.

I disagree conditionally because not all processors are equal - there are entry level and there are top-of-the-line. And when it comes to top-of-the-line, a top-of-the-line graphics processor unit (GPU) is MUCH more complex and sophisticated than a top-of-the-line CPU. Currently, the NVIDIA GK110 Kelper GPU with,
Quote:
7.1 billion transistors, Kepler GK110 is not only the fastest, but also the most architecturally complex microprocessor ever built.
The current top CPU is an Intel 62 core Xeon Phi with "just" 5 Billion.

So my point is, and the fact is, for many systems - especially gaming systems, the GPU is often "the single most complex component" in the computer, not the CPU. That said, many would argue the motherboard holds that distinction - and I might have a hard time arguing with that.

Quote:
and it makes sense to keep it nice and cool for reliability and trouble-free computing.
Nice and cool, sure. But cooler does not automatically mean better. Electronics is designed to operate within a specific operating temperature range. A CPU at 50°C will be just as stable and have the same life expectancy as a CPU running at 40°C.

So keeping your CPU cool and well within its normal operating range is essential. But seeking to achieve the coolest possible temps is just a waste of time and money, and only good for bragging rights. This is exactly why OEM coolers are more than adequate. Of course if you are an enthusiasts, there's nothing wrong striving for bragging rights - as long as the kids have enough to eat, good shoes, a warm blanket and a roof over their heads.