Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2002, 12:11 AM

computer can't find operating system

I bought a new Emachine about 3 months ago and about a week ago, after I started the computer, a black screen would come on and say that the computer could not find the operating system. I had to turn the computer off and restart in order for it to find the operating system and kick on windows. Now it takes 4-5 restarts in order for it to find the operating system. In a few days, I don't think the computer will work anymore. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Thanks
Old December 28th, 2002, 12:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Welcome to Cybertech.

Have you looked at the time when you do get the PC started up? Sounds like you might have a dieing Cmos battery.
Old December 28th, 2002, 12:25 AM

Not sure what you are asking Dodge, but my clock is still working if thats what you are asking. I just bought the computer 3 months ago, so I can't imagine a battery dying already. Still need help.
Old December 28th, 2002, 01:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Actually brand new batteries are sometimes dead.

Take a look in the bios. Boot the PC, when the first screen appears, start tapping the (I think it is either the Delete or ESC key with Emachines)

When in the bios, look around for Boot Priority, or Boot Order. See if it is set to Boot from the hard drive first. If it isn't then set it to that. You will need to click on the Hard drive listed and then press the + key... Then press the F10 key and choose to Exit Saving Changes.
Old December 29th, 2002, 01:37 AM

Hi guys,
I have an Emachine that does the same thing every so often.
The first time it gave the No Operating System Found I pulled the cover off and pressed on the ribbon connector to the HDD, not loose. Then I just pressed around on all the cable connections looking for a loose one. None seemed loose. But when I rebooted everything worked good. Just pressing on them got it to working.
After doing this a few times, the last time I put a little WD40 on all the cable connections and hope it lasts longer. I think one of my ribbon connections is a bit loose on a pin somewhere. You might want to try that...who knows?
Old December 30th, 2002, 06:51 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem with her emachine until I removed the refrigerator magnet she had been keeping on her computer. No joke.