Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Can I install any operating system on any computer?

I have a gateway performance 500 which came with windows 98 (so you see how old it is). I got and installed a windows xp os on it, and the installation went fine. In device manager there are no exclamation marks either. However the problem is that the video and audio output is very jerky and it didnt used to be when there was win 98 on the computer. I heard that maybe I need to update the drivers or something, but I wasnt sure why the same hardware wont work with the drivers it used before. Anyway, gateway does not offer drivers for windows xp on my system (Performance 500). So how can I get updated drivers for my system that work with win xp?
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The same hardware won't work with the same drivers because the drivers also have to work with the operating system. Windows 98 drivers seldom, if ever, work with Windows XP.

You may be able to download XP-compatible drivers from each component's manufacturers. To do that, you need to know the make and model of the components; in this case, the sound card and video card.

If you don't have that information, download and run Everest Home Edition. It will inventory your computer and hopefully give you the make and model information you need to find drivers.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM

ill try that. thanks
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
You can install any OS on any computer, however if the computer is old and/or a piece of crap then then operating systems may have trouble working because the old computer doesn't have enough memory. However XP isn't all that memory intensive; when the display has problems is that regular or only when you are running games and such?

In addition the graphics cards and other hardware must be properly installed, there are some REALLY OLD (like, from the time when we called computers "IBM compatible") that need extra tweaks in order to work with newer OS's/computers, if at all, but if the original OS was Windows 98 that's probably not the case, of course the previous owner may have switched them out.

In addition upgrading can sometimes cause compatibility issues (this usually happens when installing a service pack, but it can also happen going from one version of Windows to another), so if you suspect that's a problem you may want to try a full reformat/install instead of an "upgrade".
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Also will have to have more RAM (memory) installed. XP has a larger requirement than 98 did.
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM

The computer is maxed out at 384 MB RAM. I reformatted and put XP on the hard disk, but the video is jerky when watching movies and also when viewing images and moving them on the screen. I probably need to see if there are drivers that will work with XP, and those Ill check on the manufacturers site of the motherboard, Intel.

By the way I have a gateway performance 500 s/n is 0013872369
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:40 PM

Recommended to have 512MB minimum with XP.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM

You could try a version of Linux, say Ubuntu or Mint. Google and they are free.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM

O/S: Linux
Some Linux o/s are dropping support for legacy boards so check before installing.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM

XP can run well (enough) on as little as 256 RAM. The poster who said you need "more memory" meant that it takes more memory to run XP then it does to run 98, not that you specifically need more memory on your specific computer.

If your RAM is 384 that means you originally has a 256 card and then added a 128. Every computer that I am aware of (there is a possibility I am wrong about it being true of "every computer", but I am pretty sure I am right) has the capability to at least double it's originally memory. That means you should be able to replace the 128 stick with a 256 stick.

However, you have a Gateway, which is a piece of ****. So if a 256 Dell can run XP well enough for someone who only browses 10 or less windows at a time, a 256 Gateway may not be able to. There is also your processor and I don't know what size processor would be required to run a certain operating system. 1G is enough but I don't know when 1G became standard.

You never need to report the serial number of your computer. The serial number is individual to your specific computer, and can be used to verify that you have bought a warranty and or tech support plan, to report it stolen to the police, etc. All random interneters need is the model number (specific model number if possible and applicable; for example model 625A-X300 or model 625A-X450).

Graphics cards also have their own memory (when you buy them, the graphics card itself has an amount of memory on or in it). So you may need to upgrade your graphics card (you can't get more memory for them) if you want your display to work with XP.

Linux is an option, but I wouldn't recommend it as a permeamant option because you can't get anything to work on it without writing programs and/or doing very advanced investigations into command line scripts.

For example: internet, printers, USB ports and devices, flash and java etc., XML, various other specific internet technologies, new hardware after installing Linux with your original configuration, drivers, internet cards (USB or PCI), etc., and possibly even some software.
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Well, the two linux distros are pretty much plug and play. Nowadays, linux is ALMOST as easy to use as Windows. The only thing that prevents me from saying good bye to Bill Gates is printer drivers. Certain printers just dont have drivers for linux.
Pleas investigate Ubuntu or Mint, they are available to run off a trial (booting off a cd) or you can install (inside XP) or dual boot.
I have been using Mint on and off for a year.. you do fine tune a few things. But if it required any dos, I wouldnt bother either.

BUT this computer is way behind in processor and RAM capabilities, its about time to upgrade, either to at least a GIG of RAM, but because of the cost of RAM, I recommend a computer with a 2.8GHz processor or faster, and at least 2 Gig RAM, then XP will run great, and upgrading to Win Vista or Win 7 can be done.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewgirl View Post
However, you have a Gateway, which is a piece of ****. So if a 256 Dell can run XP well enough for someone who only browses 10 or less windows at a time, a 256 Gateway may not be able to. There is also your processor and I don't know what size processor would be required to run a certain operating system. 1G is enough but I don't know when 1G became standard.
Please fix your own computer first and quit talking about things you obviously know nothing about. If I were you I would listen to Jintan when he tries to help you disinfect your computer. Just my .02 cents
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
gunner, that is unwarranted..

the OP has not told us what CPU this 500 has, and I do not see mention of what sort of videocard is used either.

I am not going to look at all models of gateway 500, but will instead do a guestimate.

Probably some Piii 500 with probably some 32 Mb AGP, and my bet is that that GPU is not good enough for video.
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
(even with a P4, a 32Mb TNT is not good enough..)