Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
External Maxtor HD unreadable - any hope?

Hi All,

I had an old external Maxtor One-Stop HD (5000LE) on my work computer - backing up mainly my docs/pics/music; I retired in June and was about to take the drive home and found that I could no longer open it in Windows IE.

The drive is not clicking so I've attached it to my Vista laptop and still cannot open the files (gives an I/O error). So, I downloaded SeaTools for Windows and the USB connected Maxtor was found; from the 'Basics Tests' menu the only ones I could run were 'Short Generic' & 'Long Generic' both passed (from my understanding the 'Long Generic' looks for bad sectors?).

Another issue arose while running this program - I received the notification that 'stxcom.exe has stopped working' - not sure why and have no idea if this problem is not allowing me to test the HD further?

I have much of the important data on this drive on USB Flash sticks, so I'm not looking to send it to Seagate for evaluation or data recovery (assume $$$); BUT, are there any other steps that I can take the may allow me to read the HD?

As usual, thanks for any advice - Dave
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Hi Dave.

The first step is to remove the drive from the enclosure, as the enclosures connectors may be defective. You can then hook up the drive directly to a desktop, or to a laptop via an adapter.
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Seth gave you one way.

When running Sea Tools did you run as administrator? Using WIn 7/Vista/XP? Do you have one-care loaded?
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Drive diagnostics aren't going to allow you to recover the contents of the drive, so there's no point in running the diagnostics. In addition, if the drive is failing, drive diagnostics may be enough to put the drive "over the edge" in which the data would only be recoverable using an expensive recovery lab.
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM

Hi Seth & Murf - thanks for your prompt responses - I am not running 'One Care' (and read about that as a potential issue) and also have run the Segate program as administrator multiple times w/ the same results, i.e. NO results!

Below is a pic of the HD - there are no screws, so I imagine that I'd have to cut off those plastic holders to even get the drive from this enclosure - is it worth the effort, esp. after Seth's second post?

Seems that this is a hopeless situation? As already stated, I have most of the important data on USB flash drives, thus not a crucial issue for me but just irritating - this is the 2nd of these drives that has failed for me!

Thanks to you both for your suggestions and help - BUT, if you feel that this is a fruitless attempt for me to go further, I have no problem in just giving up?

Dave -

Old March 20th, 2012, 02:11 AM

The bottom line is that you have an enclosure connector problem, or a failed hard drive. Neither of which can be accurately determined unless the drive is taken out of the enclosure and hooked up to an alternate computer.

Wanting to proceed depends on how valuable the data is. If you want to proceed, then start prying

If you take it apart, then hooking up the drive to a desktop computer is simple and free. Hooking it up to a laptop will cost you the price of a USB to 3.5 inch SATA adapter. Alternatively, if you take it out, most shops should be able to check it out at no cost.
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:50 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Hi All,

I agress with Seth and Murf that if you like to test if the Drive is bad and to recover your data then you need to take apart the Enclosure and hook the drive to a desktop and a USB enclosure like Seth suggested..

2 Days ago I have the same problem with my friends 1 TB Seagate Freeagent, what we did is we take out the HDD from the enclosure and hook it to a desktop to recover the files using a SATA cable..

Its worth a try if you really want the files and the drive..
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Thanks Guys for your prompt and helpful responses!

I decided w/ your help that I was not going to get my data back w/ the HD as is and/or w/ the Seagate software, so I preyed of the two plastic holders and opened the container - the pic below shows what I found!

The longer black/red wire was attached to the 'One Touch' function button; the other 4-multi-colored wire was connected to the circuit board shown and was easily detachable w/ a four-pin connector. Thus, the HD comes out easily w/ the connector attached.

NOW, this process is completely NEW to me, i.e. not sure that I want to hook this up to one of my computers (and not knowing how?) - FUN to disassemble the drive but again have most of my wanted info on USB sticks - just not sure how much more I want to explore this adventure except to learn, if you know what I mean!

Any other further comments, esp. regarding 'HOW' to connect this HD to a computer would be appreciated - finally what is amazing about this old HD is the fact that it is only 80 GB and is LARGE & HEAVY - and it's not that old!

Thanks again - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaxtorExtHD.jpg (31.5 KB, 6 views)
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Interesting. Never seen an enclosure like that. That whole white thing should slide off. The 4 pin white connecter is for power. The end of the drive should look something like this:

Old March 20th, 2012, 04:07 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Adding to MURF post.. I have an Enlosure like this one for IDE drives..

You'll Need a IDE connector and a desktop with an onboard IDE port.. Most of the new desktop motherboards today doesn't have IDE ports on them.. they were replaced by SATA ports..

If your desktop doesn't have any onboard IDE ports then you'll need to buy a IDE enclosure with adapter etc. like the one you have right now where your drive is connected.

Setting Up an IDE Drive on a desktop is easy as the IDE cable have a GUIDE on them.. it wont fit right in if you put on the wrong way.. Please see image below..

Last edited by vahne2k; March 20th, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM

BOY - this is getting more interesting than I suspected!

Below are two additional images of the end & other side of the HD which easily was removable, as suggested by Murf - a portion of the end pins connected to the remainder of the the frame shown in the original photo.

Now, I'm not really going to try to hook this into one of my computers - just don't have the experience and as I said much of the more important data I had already is saved to USB flash drives.

My plan at the moment is simply to discard this HD but if anyone is interested in 'playing around' on recovering my data (nothing of importance except related to my previous occupation as an academic radiologist), I will be glad to ship the drive to them @ my expense - I guess a challenge to the experts here?

If indeed someone takes up this challenge and is successful, I would appreciate my 'Documents' folder (i.e. docs, pics, music, etc.) sent back to me on a USB stick - will be glad to reimburse any expenses.

Any interest? If so, please send me a PM w/ contact info - thanks again - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaxtorExtHD2.jpg (61.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MaxtorExtHD3.jpg (64.2 KB, 5 views)
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:04 AM

You can jumper that drive as a slave, and probably get the data off of it. No problem. Can show you how if you want. Does your computer have a IDE drive in it???
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize that the drive was so old and is an IDE.