Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM

minidumps

my pc has minidumps and sometimes won't start and I have to use system repair. I know very little about computers. Please help.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM

Mini Dumps occur when there's an error or conflict that causes the system to crash or just hiccup. They're made for you to send to MS so they can try and resolve the issue. But if the error is occurring because of some cracked app or even an error in your Windows Special install, do you really want to send the info to MS?

What you can try is to look in the Event Viewer to see if you can identify what's causing the error. It's a lot easier to locate if you look in there right after an error but it goes pretty far back and you don't have to wait to do a little Sherlock Holmes on it.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM

thank you for replying. I've looked in the event viewer and still don't know what to do.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Ben. If you send me the files, I might be able to help you identify what is causing your problem but no promises.

Have a look in the C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder for Mini(some number).dmp files.

Copy the three most recent files to a new folder, zip it up (this is important) and email it to me (include a link to this thread) and title your email "Minidump". My address is anniefriday@xtra.co.nz I will post back when I have checked them out.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again ben74814. I received your email but I cant help you unless you attach the files I requested. You will have to find them on your drive in the folder I mentioned in my previous post, copy them to your Desktop and then zip them up and send them to me as an attachment.

Perhaps ask a friend to help you with this.
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have received your email but the files you sent me are shortcuts to the actual files, not the files themselves. You need to copy the actual files (rightclick and choose copy) and paste them on your desktop (rightclick and choose paste) and then send them to a zipped folder.

I'm out of town now for the next three days Ben so I cant help any further until I return.