Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
ICQ Privacy Settings & Security

As promised, I have put together a bit of a tutorial of what setting to change on ICQ to keep the nasty messages out.

ICQ Security
The images are from ICQ2000b but still the same as in 2000a.

These options will make sure the only messages/urls etc etc you get are from people you want to get them from.

Any questions, post them here.

------------------
Smurfy
Suggest A Fix & CyberTech Help moderator.
smurfynz@netscape.net
Old September 27th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Smurfy,

Those are some great tips !!

I'm sure a lot of people are going to find those very useful

ICQ is a very powerful tool, and if not configured correctly can leave gaping holes for potential hackers etc.

Those tips definately help to seal a lot of those, and what they don't Zone Alarm definately does.

How are you finding 2000b mate ????

MiShY - still on Freenet

------------------
Cyber Tech Help
You Break 'em - We Fix 'em
Old September 27th, 2000, 03:43 PM

Hey Mishy - It's better at handling the POP mail than 2000a was - I had no end of trouble getting it to check my email. 2000b is much better.

There are a few little extras as well - and the've trimmed some of the rubbish off - it's actually a smaller d/l than 2000a!

I'll talk to you later about publishing that page or a tidied up variation of it on this site.

------------------
Smurfy
smurfynz@netscape.net
Old September 28th, 2000, 07:27 AM

Hi
Smurfy thanks for the tips. I don't get to many nasty things on ICQ, but these settings will help even more.

Mishy I also have ICQ2000b and like smurfy says they did trim a lot of the fat from it.

FrostyPhrog

Old September 28th, 2000, 07:07 PM

This looks like great info & I have copied for offline review. I also have Zone Alarm installed but am not very knowledgable at using it. My question here is "Exactly what is ICQ?" I see and hear that term tossed around all the time but somehow I have never really understood what it represents except in a very vague way.

Thanks.
Old September 29th, 2000, 12:09 AM

ICQ can be a tool or a toy, depending on how you want to use it.
It is a real-time internet communications program. (Others similar include Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger etc)

Essentially, you build a list of contacts (friends/family/associates) who also have ICQ installed. Whenever you connect to the 'net, your list will show you which of them are on-line (and have ICQ running) at the same time. You can then perform various real-time communications with one or more of them including messaging (like instant short email), chat, voice chat, file transfer etc etc. There are also settings to enable you to 'hide' if you want so no-one else can see if you are on line but you can see them, (bear in mind they can do the same).
You can also use it to run your ordinary POP3 email.

As you can tell from the privacy page, unless configured correctly, it is a security risk, not just for the offensive spam likely to come your way unless blocked, but as it acts as a server for direct connection between two or more internet users, it is possible for a hacker to get into your system using it. hence guard your contact list as if your PC's life depends on it.

------------------
Smurfy
smurfynz@netscape.net