Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Power Supply?

I have a PC that won't turn on any more. It's a HP Pavilion (model # escapes me right now) which is a few years old.

When I plug the power cord to the power supply, the light on the back goes on for a brief moment then turns off. THis light used to be lit at al times when the PC was working. It this a power supply issue?

Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM

when did this start occuring? was there anything that might have prompted this problem? Maybe there was a lightning storm or did you open up your case and possibly fry a component. Were you overclocking?
I had a similiar problem, right after i built my pc a couple years ago, the fans would spin, hard drive would spin but it wouldn't boot, turns out that I had fried my cpu cause i put the heatsink on backwards (oops!). But it could be anything, possibly powersupply.
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffpurdy
when did this start occuring? was there anything that might have prompted this problem? Maybe there was a lightning storm or did you open up your case and possibly fry a component. Were you overclocking?
I had a similiar problem, right after i built my pc a couple years ago, the fans would spin, hard drive would spin but it wouldn't boot, turns out that I had fried my cpu cause i put the heatsink on backwards (oops!). But it could be anything, possibly powersupply.
It just stopped turning on one day last week. No storm, I have a surge protector as well. I've never opened the case & it's not overclocked. When I try to turn it on nothing happens, no fans, HD's, nothing!
Old September 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM

If no fans or anything come on its either your psu or mobo. i would try the psu first and see if you can replace that because the mobo would be more costly to replace and fix.
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72montecarlo
If no fans or anything come on its either your psu or mobo. i would try the psu first and see if you can replace that because the mobo would be more costly to replace and fix.
How would I find the wattage of my current PS? I tried HP's site & couldn't find the info. It's a Pavilion 7917.
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Longshot - try opening the case and blow out all dust. make sure all connections from your power supply are secured.
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600
Longshot - try opening the case and blow out all dust. make sure all connections from your power supply are secured.
I tried that. Everything looks OK.

I'm going to buy a new PS. I just don't know which one to buy. I'll be getting it from www.canadacomputers.com.
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Re: Power Supply

it might be a issue with your hard drive, motherboard, CMOS battery....etc

have you opened your computer case lately and worked around with the cords on your motherboard? check to see all the cords are properly plugged in, especially your power supply.
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM

if you suspect that your PS may be the culprit, then 2 things u need to consider before getting it either from your friend or purchasing at computer store are:

1) power capacity of the new supply
2) physical dimensions, this thing has taken care of with the new ATX motherboard

Also to check your motherboard manuals too, if you have it
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:26 PM

I opened up the case. Everything looks fine. Everything is plugged in securely.
I don't have the manual for the MB. I was hoping to get the exact PS if possible. Is there a way to find out the exact PS online for a Pavilion 7917? The HP site didn't mention it.
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM

You can try replacing your PS, but before that you want to figure out the actual PS that your PC is currently using, so unplug your PS and unscrew the PS bay so as to reveal its product information label. e.g. the wattage rating, manufacturer, model #, etc. Otherwise, I cant tell what PS your computer needs

later
Tech
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

I've removed the PS & unfortunately am having a hard time getting a replacement in the Toronto area. The PS from the HP is smaller than the PS' for sale at many computer shops. Anyone know where I could find one?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2337lover
I've removed the PS & unfortunately am having a hard time getting a replacement in the Toronto area. The PS from the HP is smaller than the PS' for sale at many computer shops. Anyone know where I could find one?
I am having the same problem getting the power supply for HP Pavilion 7917 in Toronto. Can anybody help? Thank you.

Sam