Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old December 8th, 2002, 05:11 AM

win2000 server/internet explorer problems

Here is the problem. I will try to be as specific as I can since I know it makes a difference on advice to help resolve.

I had a new computer built. 256mb, 27.3 gig harddrive that is partitioned. I am running Windows 2000 Server. Works wonderfully minus the problem I cannot display any web pages. I installed AOL 8, and my understanding from their message boards is this is a huge problem for a ton of people however their assistance has done no good except take some features of aol away that at least I did have in the beginning.

Here is what has been done thus far.

1) cache checked and cleared
2) aol adaptor uninstalled and reinstalled
3) internet explorer repair used
4) I have uninstalled AOL 8, including all those little files in regedit, installed an older version(6.0) same problem. Deleted 6.0 and reinstalled 8.
5) It appears to be a winsock2 issue on a ton of others so at a suggestion I deleted winsock2 via regedit. After rebooting winsock2 is back.
6) A program was written to solve this problem called LSPFix. I dl'd it but when I attempt to run I get this error "Protocol or Namespace Catalog keys not present in the Registry. Please re-install Winsock 2"
Now I still show winsock2 is there, so I am well confused.
7) after speaking with another tech, he suggested I find winsock2 at microsoft and reinstall it. I have looked and cannot.
I found it for windows 95 but not windows 2000.

--- so I am on my laptop, since I can't access the internet via my new system that I love... pleading for someone to help me fix this darn problem.

1) No, I am not computer literate as it might possibly come across above (or may not :P )
2) No, I don't have the discs for windows 2000 server. Yes, I can get them but not until sometime this coming week and I am being stubborn on wanting to resolve this now.

The error it is giving when trying to access a web page is this
" system32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm"

If I left something out important, let me know.

Thanks for any help!
Old December 8th, 2002, 06:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi lyssadarkstar - welcome to CTH.

Quote:
6) A program was written to solve this problem called LSPFix. I dl'd it but when I attempt to run I get this error "Protocol or Namespace Catalog keys not present in the Registry. Please re-install Winsock 2"
Now I still show winsock2 is there, so I am well confused.
It sounds to me as though you have deleted registry entries that are necessary for winsock 2 to function. Did you export the keys before you deleted them and save the .reg file?

Run regedit again and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services and open your Winsock2 key. Doubleclick on Parameters. You should see two subkeys:

NameSpace_Catalog5 and Protocol_Catalog9

If the keys are not present and you didnt save them, you will have to use your installation disks and reinstall.
Old December 8th, 2002, 03:20 PM

regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Controlset001>

Winsock2, I show under parameters Namespace_catalog5 and Protocol_catalog9.

I also show the same thing under Controlset002 and CurrentControlSet
Old December 8th, 2002, 03:21 PM

sorry I missed the other part of the post, no I didn't export them and save them before deleting
Old December 9th, 2002, 04:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi again lyssadarkstar - the registry keys for winsock 2 are quite complex. If you had exported the keys that you deleted, I might have been able to help you but without knowing whats missing, its virtually impossible. I think it would be a good idea to retrieve your installation disks from storage and reinstall.
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
I think I'll just add to this that when looking for assistance with
your computer it's best to not do that at A.O.L.

It's akin to IRC (chat place on the Web) where there are so many
people on there at any given time that your going to run into
people that are not giving you instructions to help you, but their
intent is to destroy your computer because they pick up that you
may be willing to do things that you may not be familiar with.

Come straight here for computer instruction. You'll never get anything
but the facts.

btw, I agree with AnnMarie. Your operating system must be reinstalled.
If you had a habit of backing up the registry then it would just be a matter
of two-clicking on a file and you'd be back to normal.

Just some notes for the future.
Old December 9th, 2002, 12:16 PM

Oh, I didn't go searching for advice from just unknown people. I went into their tech room, where they have persons who basically work for AOL. However, their advice obviously didn't help and did more harm than good.

Ok, goal of the week: Get the discs then move forth.