Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM

My computers' mum never taught it to share

Hi there. I am going bonkers tryignt to figure out what the hell is going on.

I have three computers set up to one modem. It's worked fine and dandy for the last year (except for some disconnecting unexpectedly but thats another problem). Two of the comupters share files for an accounting program. Recently I had to restore the program from a backup because an automatic dowload corrupted the last file. At the same time I had uninstalled Notron Internet Security and installed Norton 360. (ot sure if that has to do with anything.)

And on top of these two things somethign funky happened and all of a sudden our network was no longer secure. I of course get right on it and type in the network key again on all three computers and we are safe again.

But now, the two computers will not share anymore. At first I noticed that the two computers were not on the same workgroup and I changed that. I have made sure that all the folders on the pathway and including the folders itself are shared.

I have no idea why they will not share! Can anyone help me?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Jennifer,

Have you contacted Norton support to see if they thought the uninstall might be causing the problem?
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMidwest View Post
Hi there. I am going bonkers tryignt to figure out what the hell is going on.

I have three computers set up to one modem. It's worked fine and dandy for the last year (except for some disconnecting unexpectedly but thats another problem). Two of the comupters share files for an accounting program. Recently I had to restore the program from a backup because an automatic dowload corrupted the last file. At the same time I had uninstalled Notron Internet Security and installed Norton 360. (ot sure if that has to do with anything.)

And on top of these two things somethign funky happened and all of a sudden our network was no longer secure. I of course get right on it and type in the network key again on all three computers and we are safe again.

But now, the two computers will not share anymore. At first I noticed that the two computers were not on the same workgroup and I changed that. I have made sure that all the folders on the pathway and including the folders itself are shared.

I have no idea why they will not share! Can anyone help me?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Hi Jennifer,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting about Norton 360.

First, please make sure that the Windows Firewall is turned "Off," as Norton 360's Personal Firewall is handling this for you, and having both running can cause conflicts.

Second, make sure that you do not have any other third party antivirus or internet security applications installed , as these too can cause conflicts.

In regards to the settings in Norton 360 to allow home networking, please click on the link below and follow the instructions to enable this feature in Norton 360.

Instructions to Configure Norton 360 for Home Network Sharing

Please also make sure that LiveUpdate has been running and that you have the latest program and definition updates. You can manually run LiveUpdate by opening the main Norton 360 window, and then clicking on "Run LiveUpdate" in the left pane of the window.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

Last edited by Michael York; March 14th, 2008 at 02:11 AM. Reason: edits, sig