Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Unique network dilemma when attempting to set up an "access" point:

Alright, first off, here's my situation. I live in an on-campus apartment. The entire campus is blanketed by a wifi network that is free for students. however, our apartment *just* happens to be in a dead zone. In fact, my roommate's iphone can connect to the wifi network if he goes outside and stands about fifteen feet away from our kitchen window towards the nearest building (which is about 300 ft away). however none of our computers iphones, or laptops can find the network when inside the apartment.

I build a simple yagi cantenna, and hooked it up to my pc's wireless card, and despite a 10 -12 db gain, i still could not find the school network. The problem is that my room, and by extension, my pc, is on the opposite side of the apartment, meaning it has to 'look' through at least 4 walls to see the network, and i am pretty sure our walls are made out of lead...

so out next try will be to buy a router or access point, set it up right next our kitchen window, and hook up the yagi antenna to look through the window and directly at the building. the router or access point will rebroad cast the signal and our computers can connect to that.

there is only one catch: the school network is semi-secure. what i mean by that, is that to connect to the network, you simply put in your student ID and studen password, and you're in. so if our access point were to simply rebroadcast the signal, everyone in our apartment complex would see the school network and attempt to connect to it, and I dont think a router can handle 80+ users.

so my question is: is there any way to limit who can see what networks a router or access point is rebroadcasting?

also, are there any recommendations for routers, access points, repeaters, etc that i should buy?