Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:18 PM

New (old) laptop

hey guys i recently came across a laptop laying around in the garage, it seems to have alot of issues and i do not have a disc to reinstall windows. It has Vista 32bit and it is very slow and laggy. Can you point me in the direction to cleaning it up to basically factory settings and all clean and clear of bugs? Thank you for your time in advanced.
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:19 PM

just trying to clean it up to use it as a little htpc for netflix and other videos/movies for the kids.
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:51 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Best bet is do a system restore.

Restore without installation CD/DVD

https://neosmart.net/wiki/restore-to...allation_CDDVD
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
may be able to do a factory restore without a disk. what is the full model number of the laptop.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:47 AM

Hi, thank you for the response. I attempted what you had suggested.
Got into Safe Mode with Command. Started a System Restore to 2008, but after about 15 minutes an "Unexpected Error Occurred." So, I attempted the same steps, but chose a date not so old. I had fingers crossed, but with my luck, the same "Unexpected Error Occurred."

So, I am feeling as though a System Restore is out of the option. Is it possible to just clean up the current install and everything. Make sure there is no viruses, spyware and/or malware? Clean it all up, delete and uninstall Programs that are not "Factory" or vital to the operation of the laptop.

There is an anti-virus program installed called "AVG Free Edition" but it has an error with no serial number, i have attempted to uninstall it but it gives a dll error.

Once again thank you for your time, advice and suggestions.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try selecting "Last Known Configuration"

Once that is done you run scan on the drive to see if any of the operating files are corrupt.

1. Click on Start
2. Type command prompt or cmd in the search box
3. Right click Command Prompt and then click on Run as Administrator
4. At the command prompt (Blinking cursor) type the following command

sfc /scannow (space after c..../)

It will take awhile if there are corrupt files should fix them.

Once it is done reboot

AVG is a pretty good FREE virus program. I would download and reinstall over the top of itself.

https://www.avg.com/en-ww/ppc/protec...Fc14YgodaDwO4A

Download and install the FREE VERSION, when it installs if you have a choice select custom and only install the anti-virus program. Some downloads want to install other crap like browser extensions...

Once it is installed do a complete scan.

Now you can clean up the drive

Right click Start then to Control Panel
Go to Programs and Features or Uninstall a program.
Find the program you want to uninstall, click it and select it then click Uninstall

Reboot

Now run Disk Cleanup:

Start>Computer
Right click the drive you want to clean and click on Properties
On the Properties dialog click Disk Cleanup
Click either My Files Only or Files from all Users on the Computer
On the Disk Cleanup TAB select the files to delete and then click OK

It’s okay to place check marks by all items. Those things wouldn’t be listed if they were crucial to the computer’s operation.

There’s one exception to placing check marks by all the items, however: Hibernation File Cleaner. Do not remove that item if you use hibernation on your computer.

Reboot.

Now go in and stop programs from starting with Windows that you don't need. these programs start and run in the background and 90% you don't need. If the program is needed you run it from a desktop shortcut or the Programs Exe file.

Click Start > type in msconfig in the search box
Press enter to open

Click on the Startup TAB

All items checked start with Windows and can really slow down loading. There can be hundreds of different entires here. 95% u\you don't need.

The most common ones you do not need to start Windows are:

Adobe
Apple
MS Office

There are several sources out there that will tell you what is needed/unneeded, one of them is:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

One I have used over the years is VIPER

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/