Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:00 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Should I disable these running processes?

ASUS ROG G551JW, 8GB, i7 4720hq, 2.60 ghz, Quad core.

My laptop seems to take a long time to finish booting up. I define that as when the computing light stops being always on after a reboot (also meaning “Disk” in Task Manager drops below 100%). It generally takes 12-15 mins for this to happen. I looked at what was running & I always seem to see these processes running even 2-3 hours after a reboot.
Service host: superfetch
Antimalware: service executable
They always are in the top 4-5 things running in the “Memory” section of Task Manager. They both always seem to running at between 75-90MB.
-Is that a lot for those processes?
-Should they be running that much all the time?
-Are they both necessary & what if I disable them?

I researched them both & neither seems that crucial. Superfetch seems like a RAM optimizer that is supposed to speed up the PC but I’m wondering if its doing the opposite now. An IT buddy said it might be running that much memory because its looking for files that don’t exist anymore. I recently used “Revo” to uninstall almost all programs that were not system, default or work programs. As for Antimalware service its part of windows defender. I’m not sure it its needed & why it is always running with so much memory usage. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
There is comprehensive information about Windows Services along with a guide about which are safe to disable, which should not be disabled, which are risky, etc. on Black Viper's site.
I've used Black Viper's guide many times with great results.
Old August 24th, 2018, 03:51 AM

I don't know where you are researching but your information is flat out wrong.

75-90MB is nothing. If they are using 90MB and they are near the top of your RAM users, that is GREAT!!!!!

Superfetch is used by Windows to help speed up loading of programs you use most frequently. And it works. It is NOT a RAM optimizer. Some may argue it is not needed if using SSDs, I say let it run. It works in the background and steps out of the way when higher priority tasks need the resources.

Antimalware is exactly what it says it is - part of your anti-malware solution. Why would think it safe to disable that?

Long boot times are commonly caused by driver issues. And sadly, because notebooks tend to be so proprietary, that can be a problem.

What other programs do you have starting at boot?

How much free disk space do you have?