Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Exclamation WinXP setup Bootdisk with USB drivers.

Hello,

I'm trying to install WinXP on a laptop without a cd drive. However I do have a ext. USB CD drive. I need to create a boot with drivers for the USB device and allow to install Win XP. Also I've need had any luck copying the i386 folder and doing the install that way. Could you help me with this.
Thanks for any help.

Old April 9th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome

What is the make/model of the CD Drive?

In the meantime http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM

you can download xp set up files from microsoft to copy on 6 floppies and boot from your floppy drive but there are 3 versions xp xpsp1 xpsp1b make suer you choose the right one
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Just install the external cd drive like you normally would on a normal computer. You can uninstall after you install xp or leave it in case you need it for some other reason.

XP should boot itself, if it does not, try changing the booting sequence in your bios.

One other thing, if the laptop is too old, the hard drive may not be large enough for XP. Go to pcpitstop.com and run their pc readiness test to see if you might have some problems upgrading.
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:56 AM

Angry Thanks for all the Help.

The Ext. drive is a Sony DRX-500UL and the Laptop is a IBM A30 Type 2652.
Using a Duse boot disk from http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse...S/Drivers/USB/ I'm able to detect the drive but it still says unable to load driver.