Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Unhappy DP35DP no LAN connection after setup

Hi.
I am becoming a bit frustrated and hope you can perhaps help me. I'll keep it short as I can. when I first loaded windows XP I could not load SATA drivers because no floppy so I ran with IDE. System booted and I was able to connect to the internet through cable modem and Ethernet cable. I assumed that the PC would be faster using the SATA connection for the HD's so I called Windows then Intel and tried a USB floppy with no luck. Eventually I learned to make a slipstream disc with nlite and was able to install XP but now I can not connect to the cable modem. The Local Internet Connection option is gone under Internet Connections. I tried reinstalling with IDE ans SATA, With the Genuine Windows disc and the Nlite slipstream disc with the SATA drivers with no results. I suspect a Mobo problem because it handles the LAN connection does it not? I kept the initial install on a separate HD and it still has the LAN and connects. Any suggestions?
It took 2 weeks to research the system 1 hour to build it and now so far one months to install Windows!!

DP35DP Mobo
Core 2 Quad processor
Windows XP Pro Sp 2
4 hd's, all SATA, 2Seagate and 2WD
New 750w PSU
HD 2600PRO 520MB B2 Edition
2-2G DDR
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi kahoona.

First thing recommended is to have all drivers on hand before you start.

check the Motherboard's Internet page to download the latest drivers; most pages offer listed downloads.

The best suggestion is to install in this way.
  1. WinXP (sliptreaming is fine)
  2. Latest updates
  3. DirectX
  4. Video drivers
  5. Audio drivers
  6. LAN and modem drivers
  7. Periferials (USB devices, external drives, etc.)
Chances are the system will want you to reboot each time you install a new thing... go for it.

Hope it helps.
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Thanks. I can do some of that only. Without an internet connection on this drive I can install only the drivers that I have discs for. I will have no internet connection untill I get the Lan drivers. I am in unknown territory here so I have to ask questions! What about changing over to another working install and installing the LAN and modem drivers there before returning to this install so that they would be in the bios before I start??
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

You are online now so what are the chances you can download the needed drivers to this system and either burn them to a disk or put them on a floppy and install them on your system that way?

Murray
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM

I will do that. It is a bit beyond my abilities right now though. Can you suggest somewhere I could look to find out what files I need , where they need to go and how to install them if they do not come with an installer? I am willing to learn.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Try post #2.

Most may have an install feature. Some won't. Just use the install new hardware option or go into Device Manager and use the Update Drivers option on each of those.

Murray
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoona View Post
I am willing to learn.
That is the place to start kahoona.

Ok.

This has about five or six steps to follow.

Step one:

You must know the motherboard (MoBo from now on) maker and model.

Did you buy a brand computer?
If so, knowing the model is the place to start (Dell 530s, HP Pavilion a6350z, Gateway DX441, etc)

Did you have someone assemble it for you? If so, then we must start with the MoBo. (ASUS, Gigabyte, Foxconn, VIA, Biostar, Abit, Intel, MSI)

Try this:

See if you have a user's manual.
Contact your techy so he/she can tell you.
Maybe you can find all the specifics in your computer's invoice.
If not, then you get to get your hands dirty which is where the real fun begins.
It has to be there somewhere.

Get that, we go to step two.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualanqui View Post
That is the place to start kahoona.

Ok.

This has about five or six steps to follow.

Step one:

You must know the motherboard (MoBo from now on) maker and model.

Did you buy a brand computer?
If so, knowing the model is the place to start (Dell 530s, HP Pavilion a6350z, Gateway DX441, etc)

Did you have someone assemble it for you? If so, then we must start with the MoBo. (ASUS, Gigabyte, Foxconn, VIA, Biostar, Abit, Intel, MSI)

Try this:

See if you have a user's manual.
Contact your techy so he/she can tell you.
Maybe you can find all the specifics in your computer's invoice.
If not, then you get to get your hands dirty which is where the real fun begins.
It has to be there somewhere.

Get that, we go to step two.

Alright!! Thanks Qualanqui
1- Board: Intel Corporation DP35DP AAD81073-206
Serial Number: BTDP738003H1
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. DPP3510J.86A.0326.2007.1206.2256 12/06/2007
From NewEgg. I assembled. No user manual furnished. SATA and Raid drivers on floppy.

Kahoona

DP35DP Mobo
Core 2 Quad processor
Windows XP Pro Sp 2
4 hd's, all SATA, 2Seagate and 2WD
New 750w PSU
HD 2600PRO 520MB B2 Edition
2-2G DDR
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM

You're game dude!

Alrighty. Here we go!

what you are to read here is not to be taken as the answer to ALL your blessings nor as the only way to be done. You click, you push "enter", and it is assumed that all written here was done with the best intention possible, that you WILL find someone else's advice better, so I appologize for any mistake(s) found here.

Since you have invested SO much time in the research alone, lets go along that path and invest more time in your rig (a very nice one, by the way) so things are done properly.

Al that you are to read here can be credited to Koroush Ghazi in his Tweaking Companion.

So... ehm... Have this on hand:
A.- Copy of WindowsXP SP2 and valid licence number.
B.- Come up with password that you will use later (One difficult to be figured out by others, yet easy to remeber for you)
C.- Floppy for RAID driver (this has to be setup in a working computer like, say, the one you are readng this on).
D.- Both RAID drivers [se note] and be sure this has been read.
E.- You MUST choose a RAID configuration supported by your DP35DP MoBo before you intall WindowsXP.
F.- All the the MoBo's drivers
G.- The newest Catalyst driver for your ATi video card
H.- Media where all installable stuff is recorded (Cd's, dvd's is a good idea).
I.- Security software (Anti-virus/pyware/trojan/dailer, Firewall... the works.)
J.- Software the syste will use (Office, Corel, Abobe, etc)
K.- Your video games to be installed.
L.- Printed instrucctions for quick refference, which you read BEFORE you printed, right?
M.- Patience & time.

[Note]: It seems that Intel MoBos have two RAID drivers that require to be installed, the floppy-F6 RAID driver AND the in-windows-RAID-driver called "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver". The F6 will be in the floppy, the in-windows will be in your recorded/able media to be installed after Wxp is working.

The installation proces shall have all the links I can find in the time I have to write this, sorry if I can't find the all.

Oh, yea!! To make things easer in the future, I will suggest you add a sufix to the name of all your drivers, that way they will be easer to identify in the future, should the need arise. For example:

STOR_All32_f6flpy32_7.8.0.1012_PV_Intel.exe is the original name of the RAID driver, so... rename it adding "F6_RAID_Driver_" (minus the quotes) to the begining of the original name, thus it will be:

F6_RAID_Driver_STOR_All32_f6flpy32_7.8.0.1012_PV_Intel.exe, and so on.

Installation order (and remeber to turn off/on the computer after every install that requires it):

1. - Insert Wxp cd in the drive, boot up, and use the RAID driver, and for this you will require your floppy, and use the F6 mode when installing your valid, licenced copy of WinXP:

Download this one and name it F6_RAID_Driver_STOR_All32_f6flpy32_7.8.0.1012_PV_I ntel.exe

Remeber that this shall be saved in a floppy for you to use while the initial installation of WinXP. The RAID level you will select will dpend on your requirements. You have to read this before you choose. I'd go RAID 1 because two of your drives will be used for making the computer work, the other two will be used to mirror your system so that in the event of one of the disks failis, you can use the other pair to keep working. But please, DO read the RAID info and choose wisely.

When Wxp asks you for an adminitrator password, use the one you came up with. Remeber the one you came up with on B of the list avobe? That one.

2. - Install all necessary WinXP updates... assuming you have them on hand, and since you are online, then see if you can burn them on a cd/dvd to save time.

This is the one I use. http://www.autopatcher.com/, but if you want the pure Windows patches, try this one.

3.- Install The newest DirectX (Reboot, even if there is no cue to do so)

4.- Install the MoBo's chipset driver (rember to rename to MoBo_Chipset_driver_INF_AllOS_8.4.0.1016_PV_Intel. exe).

5.- Install the in-windows Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver (Did you rename it? Cool)

6.- Install the Intel® ME: Management Engine Interface Driver

7.- Install the newest Ati Catalyst driver for your HD 2600PRO 520MB B2 Edition I suggest the driver alone, but I f you want the whole suit for the extra features, do it. For better info, read Koroush Ghazi's guide. (You are turning your coputer off after each install, right?) Configure your monitor to your dessired settings before you continue. Reboot for the helluvit.

8.- Install the audio driver and turn off/on your computer. Test the sound, then reboot for... fun.

9.- FINNALY Install the LAN driver

10.-Install your printer, scanner, cammera, cellphone, special USB drives. Remeber to reeboot and test each one as you come back to the system.

11.-Plug in your USB drives one by one and wait for Wxp to register them, then safely disconnect them, one by one. Reboot after you plugged in all your USB drives (You know, pen drives, flash drives, cammeras, cell phones .

12.-Security software (Anti-virus/pyware/trojan/dailer, Firewall... the works).

13.-Validate your copy of Wxp.

14.-Update all the Security software, but do it one at a time.

15.-Software the system will use (Office, Corel, Abobe, etc) and test them.

16.-Back up, back up, back up.

17.-Install your video games (I would install one, play it, then another)

18.-Back up.

19.-Enjoy.

20.-Back up.

So, my friend, I had fun typing this. I hope you have/had fun seting up your rig. Congratulations!

Good luck.

PS: Did I mention to back up your important stuff? Did you? Will you!?

Last edited by Qualanqui; January 20th, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Forgot the LAN driver link
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:22 AM

Thanks!!

Hi
As we "speak" I am running Win XP on the new Mobo using the SATA drivers and having reinstalled the escaped(?) lan drivers. I did bot get to the games or the HD movies yet though because I have no sound! It would appear from checking system/Hardware/Device Manager that I have "No Playback Device."
I should have Sigmatel audio according to Intel and I have installed it from the Mobo Disc. I have also tried the drivers from the Intel site with no luck. Checking the device manager there are no conflicts. I have Audio Codecs,Legacy Audio Drivers I do not see an actual sound device though or anything called Sigmatel. I have no Speaker Icon in the taskbar on the right and under Sounds and Audio Device Properties/ Sound Playback/Default device it reads"No Playback Devices" Win Media player says there is a problem with the sound device. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the above. Yes I reboot every time. I have backed up my backups at this point also. I will go to bed now and in the morning I will try some Holy Water sprinkled on the case. I must say that out of the perhaps 20 installs I have done this Mobo has given me the worst time of all! I will get it right eventually but may go crazy first!!
Thanks for the instructions. Can you make them a Sticky so that others can use and enjoy them? I am going to grab the Koroush Ghazi guide and read it.
Thank You Very Much
Kahoona / Rob
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Hi
...I have no sound! [...] "No Playback Device." [...] tried the drivers from the Intel site with no luck. Checking the device manager there are no conflicts. I have Audio Codecs,Legacy Audio Drivers I do not see an actual sound device though or anything called Sigmatel.
Bad MoBo.. Bad MoBo

From within the device manager, try uninstalling any/all audio devices, reboot (I know dude) and when Xp tells you it found a new device, cancel the wizard.

Then install from the site drivers.

Holy water may work.

Good luck.
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Hi
Thanks for the advice. That fixed it. Now I must go on th the next problem. That of random crashes that only happen if I play any video. I will search for an old thread that covers it and if not will start a new one. I appreciate your help.
Kahoona
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Hi
...random crashes that only happen if I play any video.
It may be that you need the full Catalyst Software Suite instead of just the display driver, as the suit has all the AVIVO and other features your graphix card offers.

Good luck.
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:07 PM

I'll try that. I was thinking along those lines myself (earlier while at work) but I found it very confusing to try to locate the software updates and drivers or even which website to go to, ATI or Diamond and then to find the ones for this card. I'll let you know if it works. BTW someone asked me to play UTube videos last night and it played many of them in a row with no problem but as soon as I tried a movie ...splat! right on its face. Perhaps it is not the videos players themselves but the memory use or processor use?
Rob
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Uninstalled and reinstalled Catalyst Software SUite. No change. Worth a try though.
Rob