Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old December 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Updates.

Has anyone else got "caught out" by the new way Windows 10 informs you of updates. On the older operating systems I've had, you get a box/balloon come up on screen informing you that updates are available (very noticeable), with W10 it tells you in "notifications" but unless you regularly check that you don't know that updates are there. Also what's with the "scheduling of a restart" to install updates as well, when I eventually realise there's updates there, I'm told that a restart has been scheduled for 3AM, as my PC is never on then I wonder how it would restart
I've noticed though that the last update has put "update and restart/power off" in the power options, so maybe others have complained about it.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:11 AM

For myself, I have it set to notify for download and notify for install (Win10 Pro users only). I do get an actual notification pop up (plus sound) for about 3-5 seconds and after it just sets in the Action Center/Notification area.

Also, you should be able to modify the 0300AM (Default) restart time to whatever suites you.

This is how the default setup reads:
3 = (Default setting) Download the updates automatically and notify when they are ready to be installed
Windows finds updates that apply to the computer and downloads them in the background (the user is not notified or interrupted during this process). When the downloads are complete, users will be notified that they are ready to install. After going to Windows Update, users can install them.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:33 AM

"Also, you should be able to modify the 0300AM (Default) restart time to whatever suites you."
Yes, I usually do a manual restart when I (finally) notice there are updates waiting.

"3 = (Default setting) Download the updates automatically and notify when they are ready to be installed
Windows finds updates that apply to the computer and downloads them in the background (the user is not notified or interrupted during this process). When the downloads are complete, users will be notified that they are ready to install. After going to Windows Update, users can install them."
Don't see this anywhere.

The only options I get are: "notify to schedule restart" or "automatic (recommended)", have now changed it to automatic to see if that works better.
Regards.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the following only works on wifi, as far as I know it will not work if you use ethernet.

open the Settings app, select Network & Internet, scroll down, and select “Advanced options” below the list of Wi-Fi networks. Enable the “Set as metered connection”
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the tip but I'm connected via Ethernet, I'll just have to remember to check the "notifications" regularly.