Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:08 PM

Unhappy Partition table recovery

Hi,

I upgraded my server motherboard, reinstalled Windows 2000 server to get the proper drivers installed, etc..
Everything worked fine except that my drive letters where not correct.... and then I was (sooooo) stupid:
I reassigned them using the disk manager without installing any SP first and of course on a large drive!
So my partition table is corrupted and my disk is unbootable.
How can I fix that (hopefully nothing should have been deleted beside the partition table) and I have a spare XP SP1 system if needed to connect the drive.
As you might guess I would like to recover the data present on the drive as I don't have backup and as it's a small home network the W2K was the only controller in the domain... so the forest root would need to be recovered too!

Thanks.

PS: If you are around London, Berkshire, Oxfordshire my data are worth a few pints if you are interested!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi SMabille

Bad luck. The theory says that your data is lost, however once when I did something similar I ran fdisk and put a partition table back in, and without formating the drives took a look and there it was. I had remembered the size and order of the partitions and put back exactly what was there previously, and bingo, I got my data back.

If the data is vital, there are data recovery services, but they charge an arm and a leg, otherwise you can take a punt like I did, and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck. BF
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Or maybe give Gibson's Spinrite a try....I've never had the need, but have heard great things about it.

http://www.grc.com/default.htm