Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM

I just cant stand it any more!

Hello everyone, this subject has most likely arose before, so forgive me for making duplicate threads but i am having a small problem. I recently received a computer from my father thats running Vista, and after weeks of troubleshooting vista problems, Ive decided that i would like to install XP, i insert the disk and boot it from the disk drive, but when it boots it get the a message like: "Please select the proper boot devise or insert a boot media devise. Hit any key to continue." Anyone know a solution. also, am computer ignorant so please try to explain it in laymen terms.
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Errm......... Hello?
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, there are already numerous threads on wanting to 'downgrade' from VISTA to XP - have you done a search or checked into the VISTA & XP forums - there are multiple issues to consider in making this decision, which should be well understood before just inserting a disc and hoping for the best - please do some searching and then respond back to this thread -
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Sounds like you are trying to use an invalid xp cd.

to downgrade, you must have a full retail version of xp. You cannot use a copy that came with another computer, you cannot use oem nor can you use an upgrade version.