Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM

Double .exe files in task manager

On certain applications like aim.exe, firefox.exe, launcher.exe (for world of warcraft), and some others, I get double the .exe files.

So when I start up firefox or aim, I check task manager and I have two firefox.exe or two aim.exe files, one of wich takes up 99 CPU and slowly climbs up memory usage, so I have to end that task so my comp doesnt lag like crazy. I can still use the programs but it is an inconvience to always have to end the task. And I have checked Spybot, Antivir, Hijackthis, but nothing out of the ordinary comes up.

Maybe I changed some setting or something...
(also I now notice that the Applications board would be a better place for this...but I do have windows XP >_> )

Last edited by Schizhatter; October 11th, 2006 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Im dumb
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Go to START | RUN and type in

msconfig <OK>

Go to the Start-Up TAB, Uncheck one of the double entries (if it is there) hit Apply, restart and when the window comes up asking you if your really want to do this, check the box Please don't show me this.....

If they comeback then it could be some sort of malware.
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:05 AM

I only get this problem after startup, when I try to run programs like firefox and aim. I don't have any problems with the startup applications.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:39 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
just right click on one of the files and say end task.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygeneration0 View Post
just right click on one of the files and say end task.
That's what I do. Each time I re-open the appliaction I get two .exe files. If I kept on opening firefox and closing it, I would have a lot of firefoxe.exe's
Old September 9th, 2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf
Go to START | RUN and type in

msconfig <OK>

Go to the Start-Up TAB, Uncheck one of the double entries (if it is there) hit Apply, restart and when the window comes up asking you if your really want to do this, check the box Please don't show me this.....
Boy your pretty resourceful Murf!

I checked my startup tab and I have a double entry and both are checked (Loadpowerprofile) but I dont usually have double apps in task manager..... (Unless I purposely have 2 instances running)

Why does having those both checked sometimes cause this?