Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old August 21st, 2020, 08:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Airplane Mode

Using win 10 on a desktop pc. Lost internet connection. When I brought internet connection on taskbar there was a small box highlighted saying airplane mode When I click on it nothing happens. I went into my internet setting and there is no airplane mode there. How can I get it out of airplane mode and get my connection back? I use dsl to connect to the internet. This is my moms new win 10 machine. I checked the ipconfig and all the numbers are good. I didn't know decktop pc's could go into airplane mode.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old August 22nd, 2020, 01:23 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Take a look here.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mode-on-or-off
Old August 22nd, 2020, 02:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

I went there they did not have a solution for me. The pc has no wifi or bluetooth, no wireless at all it is hard wired. There is no airplane mode mentioned anywhere, This is a win 10 desktop pc. I contacted her internet provider and everything was fine on their end. She said everything was fine til windows did it's update, is there any way to toggle windows update off?
kuzzz
Old August 22nd, 2020, 01:57 PM

Take a look here and see if by following the instructions you can turn it off. I don't have airplane mode on my desktop pc so I'm just going by what Googling brings up.
https://www.infopackets.com/news/995...ode-windows-10
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzzz View Post
Using win 10 on a desktop pc. Lost internet connection. When I brought internet connection on taskbar there was a small box highlighted saying airplane mode When I click on it nothing happens. I went into my internet setting and there is no airplane mode there. How can I get it out of airplane mode and get my connection back? I use dsl to connect to the internet. This is my moms new win 10 machine. I checked the ipconfig and all the numbers are good. I didn't know decktop pc's could go into airplane mode.

Thanks
kuzzz
Sounds like an error occurred when starting, have you tried rebooting?
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

I don't have airplane mode on my sesktop either that's why I haven't been able to turn it off.
And yes I have rebooted several times.
I went in and setupo another account and was able to get onto the internet but after shutting down the pc the next morning airplane mode was back. This is too f**king weird how can you turn off something that is not even on your pc?
kuzzz
Old August 23rd, 2020, 02:07 AM

Your mom said this started after a windows update, do you know which update it was? If so you may be able to uninstall it to see if that fixes the problem.
Also go to Settings>System and scroll down to About>Windows Specifications and let us know the version of Windows that is installed. Mine says Version 2004 which was a big update and I know some people had problems with it like many people are having with Windows updates.
Old August 25th, 2020, 10:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

I will be going up to her house friday and I'll check the version. She just had the pc built a month ago. I think this was the first update that windows did. I'll find out and get back to you.
kuzzz
Old August 25th, 2020, 02:20 PM

You might want to try restoring from a system restore point too. After that if the computer works normally it would be a good idea to make a system image using free AOMEI BACKUPPER so you have something to fall back on just in case this s..t happens again.
Old August 26th, 2020, 05:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Good idea, I've never made a system image before is it the same as a ISO? Which I don't know how to create either.
kuzzz
Old August 26th, 2020, 05:25 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Modify the Network Adapter Properties

1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X (or right click the Start menu) and select Device Manager from the menu.

2. Expand the Network adapters, right click on the network adapter of you device and select Properties.

3. Select Power Management tab from the pop-up dialog box and uncheck the item Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

4. Click OK to save the changes.

or Disable Non-Microsoft Services

Some programs or services can affect the Windows 10 airplane mode. You could try to disable some non-Microsoft services to fix the issue. If you happen to know the program, disable it directly. If not, it may take your time to figure it out.

1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch Run.

2. Type msconfig into the box and press Enter.

3. Select the Service tab, check Hide all Microsoft services and click the button Disable. Then click Apply.

4. Select the Startup tab, click Open Task Manager.

5. Select Startup tab from the new pop-up dialog and disable all the startup items.

You need to reboot the computer and re-enable the services you’ve disabled one by one to find out the problematic services or programs that result in the Windows 10 airplane mode error. Once you figure them out, disable them again.

or Update or Reinstall the Network Adapter Drivers

Problematic drivers can bring about Windows 10 airplane mode errors and other Windows 10 issues, so it is necessary to fix the network adapter drivers on Windows 10.
Old August 28th, 2020, 12:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

She can't get on the internet now because the airplane mode came back on by itself again so can't update or reinstall drivers. I don't understand how airplane mode can turn itself on when there is no wireless devices attached to this hard wired desktop computer and no wireless card installed on the pc.
I'll try disabling and re-enabling the services as you suggested. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old August 28th, 2020, 05:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

I just thought of something. When she first got the pc home we couldn't get on internet and they said we needed a new router and the only router I could find that you could use with DSL also has wifi but it still worked. Could windows update assumed there was wifi and did something to turn on airplane mode? Just a thought.

kuzzz
Old August 28th, 2020, 08:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

Here's her version of windows
Windows 10 Home
ver:2004
OS Build 19041.450
kuzzz
Old August 28th, 2020, 08:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Murf
On number 3 on your solution when I right click on network adapter and go to properties I don't have any tabs at the top. It just says general and nothing else.
kuzzz