Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM

computer wont shut down or restart

i can't my computer to shut down. when i go to start and then log off, nothing happens. i still have the screen that says saving setting and computer shutting down, but it doesn't. i have to hold the power button in till it shuts down, also, it won't restart. if i add a program or try to remove a program that requires a restart, the same thing happens as above. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also, what is active x and if there is a problem with that, how do i fix it

victoria
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM

O/S: Windows 95
I recommend you scan your system for maulicious files using several leading anti-viruses.

I recommend AVG, Adaware and Spybot S&D, they're all free.

ActiveX Description:
Software components from Microsoft. They enable sound, Java applets and animations to be integrated in a Web page.

I don't see how ActiveX could be the cause of this.

If allowed though, ActiveX can install maulicious files, so this may be the problem.
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM

I have done all of the above and still have the problem. any other suggestions??

victoria
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I got fed up with the same thing which seemed to happen for no apparent reason so I downloaded this free programme called SuperFastShutdown from; http://www.gold-software.com/SuperFa...-file3774.html

If you have other symptoms you should try to fix them first though.