Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM

O/S: Linux
WinXP: nslookup works everything else fails DNS

Hi all

Not that familiar with Windows systems, so need some help here please.

I have a system here that fails DNS look ups when using a browser, ping or traceroute but works fine if I use nslookup.

So I can nslookup a domain and then put its IP into a browser and it will hit the server no problems. But it can not do this on its own. Obviously not a sustainable solution

Any idea's ?

Thanks
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sadly... nslookup doesn't use the windows subsystems that provide the DNS services to browsers, etc although in this case it helps to tell you that your problem is purely on your PC.

First thing to do, lets make sure your DNS service is running. I am assuming you are running XP, please let us know if you aren't.
start -> run -> "services.msc" -> enter
Scroll down and find DNS Client. Is the status of the service "running" and is it set to automatically start?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:57 AM

thanks for the reply.

Yes XP, as the title suggests

I did find that service and restarted it. Didn't have an effect, so tried restarting the system (i knows tends to like being restarted) but still to no avail.

Appreciate the suggestion. Anything else to look for?

Thanks
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM

The only other problem I can think of is a virus/malware. There is a number of viri that redirect DNS entries through the TCP stack. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to help you directly with the virus/malware on this forum do to some cybertechhelp rules, you'll have to go the cyber security section of the forum, however, I can try to get your stack reset.

First, update your virus definitions on your AV and run a full system scan. (I'm thinking you might find a QHost or Trojan).
Second, download and run this XP TCP/IP & Winsock repair utility Run both the TCP/IP and winsock, restart your computer and try your connection.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks for that info.

I did do a Winsock repair with a different application then you have linked to, and it didnt do TCP/IP stack repair though, although I did run the netsh (or whatever it is) command that repairs your TCP/IP in XP.

I am hoping this application you have linked to does more then I have the above mentioned.

I did run HiJack this and nothing obvious stuck out at all. Seems a pretty clean system; Adaware only found 2 or so issues.

Thanks.
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:38 AM

That application didn't do anything to help unfortunately.

Ran AVG Free and it found no viruses.

Seems a pretty clean system, so thinking its not malware cause. What else could cause this problem and more importantly, how can I fix the WinXP dns system ?
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Normally I would recommend that you use sfc, but from your sig it looks like you are using a form of TinyXP. If you aren't and XPBeast is something else, go ahead and run "sfc /checknow" from your run prompt.

I also recommend that you completely remove your drivers (see if Driver Cleaner Pro can help) and reinstall. If that doesn't help, try manually uninstalling the TCP/IP stack from the network adaptor and reinstall it from the INFs.

Lastly, if you care to, PM me a copy of your hijackthis log. I'll check it for network modifications only though, CyberSecurtiy is pretty big on no one offering advice on logs.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM

not sure what TinyXP is. I use Linux myself, haven't used Windows for years, hence why my lack in confidence in Windows troubleshooting.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that and let you know. I mate suggested removing TCP/IP and reinstalling which i did from the LAN properties window. Didn't help either. Sounds like its heading for an OS reinstall; as thats a common fix in the Windows world. What a PITA!

I'll let you know how sfc gets on.

Thanks