Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM

ReactOS Installation?

I figured since many people here use ReactOS, someone could help me out.

I downloaded the ISO and burnned it OK. Then, I openned good ol' parititon magic, and partitionned off a gig from the NTFS partition, and formatted it as FAT32. Then, tried installing, unsuccessfully. I figured it'd help if I put it on another disk. So, I did the same for my other hard disk, except partitionned as FAT, and put it at the beginning of the disk so it'd be bootable, which took more time than expected. I retried installing it, but I got an error, something about active partitions. If that's what I need to do, how to I make a partition active from either Partition Magic 8, Windows Explorer, or SuSE's Partition Manager? Or, if this isn't the problem, what else do I need?

Thanks.

EDIT: I wrote down some stuff during the installation. The welcome screen came Okay, but the Paritionning got an error, "Setup found at least one hard disk contains an incompatable partition table that can not be used properly. Creating or destroying partitions may bestroy the table". Now for the partition table:

Code:
38162 MB HD 0 (p = 0 B = 0 ID = 0) on apci

Unpartitionned           1035 MB
  D: NTFS                       15877 MB
     Unpartitionned           17592186022131 MB
  E: Fat32                       1035 MB
     Unpartitionned           1035 MB
  F: Fat32                       21250 MB

29080 MB HD 1 (p = 0 B = 0 ID = 1) on acpi
  C: NTFS                       39080
I have two hard disks, one of them old. One has windows and linux on it, so it'd most likely be chopped up into the most pieces (the other one I created one more partition on). Partition Magic is only letting me view the second disk, as the first one is supposedly bad. I get the jist that it's just viewing everything horribly wrong, or it's not good at viewing Windows XP. I've tried installing it on a few of the partitions, including C:, E:\, and one of the Unpartitionned ones, but that doesn't work.

I have now a disk E:\ which is completely blown out (38 gigs), G:\ that's unpartitionned, and F:\ with a folder, "ReactOS" in it. I believe this could be the operating system, the boot loader just isn't recognizing it. I tried messing with it in SuSE, but I couldn't figure out how to do so. Given that.. my shared (music) files on E:\ are most likely gone forever, I'm willing to do it over the whole drive, but that's a last resort. My guess is that I have to probe for the OS in YaST.. or is there something else? I couldn't figure out how to do that, as mentionned.

Wow, long post. Sorry if I talked too much. :b

Last edited by restin256; March 30th, 2004 at 10:51 AM.