Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM

WIN ME Winupdate errors cant bypass to,Can not view Secure websites,no system restor

Okay so everything happened all of a sudden.

AOL PRIMARY ISP
IE 6 SP1 secondary web browser.

Seems like just a week or so ago my computer when logged online would get the standard "error page not loading may be down" for only what appears to be "SECURE" sites onlye like online banking etc. SO I looked into it and tried to run windows update (which is normally set to auto update itself) but then I got the error "Windows Update Fails Error 0x800B004"
I looked the error up with a google search found several pages of info..followed some simple fixes the only thing that happened after a reboot and more attepmts at utilizing windows update to see if there were any new fixes for my original problem. But now I am stuck yet again and get the following error

"Administrators Only

To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Note If you are running a Windows 2000 (except DataCenter), Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 operating system, you can run the local administrator account on your computer without having to log off and then log on again.

To run as the local administrator in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:

Click Start, and then click All Programs (or right-click Windows Update if it is available).
Right-click Windows Update.
Click Run as on the menu that appears.
Do one of the following:
Enter the password for the administrator.
Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

To run as the local administrator in Windows 2000:

Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Run As on the menu that appears.
Do one of the following:
Enter the password for the administrator.
Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

If the option to run as the local administrator is not available:

Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Properties.
Click the Shortcut tab, and then select the Run as different user check box.

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update."

I still can not view secure websites like my online banking or other secure sites. I can view typical pages such as myspace or abc7.com etc.

So now I am stuck..can not get windowsupdate to work so i may update my computer with any possible new fixes or files, nor view any secure websites. The only thing I can think of that I did waa right before i noticed these problems I had trouble with the monitor just powering off randomly and I'd have to hit the ESC key to turn it back on..kind of like a leep mode. (yes i checked my power save mode settings) I deleted a non-used norton system works suite. and ran into a lot of issues when restarting after the removal of hte sofware using hte add/remove programs feature in windows. The system would hang up at the same sopt in the start up loading files once the desktop was viewable and some programs like aol loaded in the taskbar or teh sound adjsuter it would freeze or restart or go to a black screen somtiems showing only a blinking curser in the top left corner of the screen. but after a few hickus and editing the startup procedure through msconfig utility i managed to get the computer booted up and able to use and restart like normal. But now I am stuck with hte problems I explained in hte beginning.

Hopefully all this info helps...I am prety computer savy...A+ certified and all..but I just can not figure this out..am I overlooking something simple or just got a good ole corrupted windows ME or IE6?

ANy help is appreciated thanks!! puncrawq@aol.com