Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Linux Live CD "How to Access internet via a network"

Hi All,
First time here and a complete newbie to linux,So please be gentle with me,LOL.

Ok i want to try linux so i did a little searching on google and came up with the idea of trying the Live CD version.
I downloaded lots of them and found slax kill bill and slax popcorn to run fine.
They both find my hardware and network cards on the laptop i installed it on,Which at this stage i should probably say is a Toshiba sattelite 2100cds, 6.2 gig h/d 96 meg ram,And my desktop is AMD 800mhz 120gig h/d 512 ram.

As i said slax loads and detects my ethernet card but when i try to run a browser it says server is not found.

Hope this makes sence to someone,Hope someone might be able to guide me to be able to use the net so i can learn about linux while using it.

Thanks AJC
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
What internet connection do you have ? If broadband are you connected to a router ? If connected to a router do you have it setup for DHCP or static ip addressing ?
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM

I have usb ADSL modem broadband on my desktop and My isp is AOL, I'm connected to my laptop with a crossover cable the laptop runs win2k and the internet connection sharing works fine there,my desktop as win XP pro, Hope this is what you wanted to know if you need more please let me know and i'll post again.

Thanks ajc
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM

If you're not able to access the Internet it's most likely because you're not getting an IP address assigned via DHCP. I'm not familiar with Windows Internet Connection Sharing to know if it supports DHCP or not but that's where I would start investigating.

Good luck!

Peace...
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Hi ajc,

I'm not familiar with the distro you're using, however as tomdkat (above) mentioned it sounds as though you are not getting the IP which Windows Internet Connection Sharing is broadcasting.

If your network card is configured properly you should pick up an IP and be able to access the internet. The IP you should be able to pickup would be 192.168.0.xxx (where xxx is a number)
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc
I have usb ADSL modem broadband on my desktop and My isp is AOL, I'm connected to my laptop with a crossover cable the laptop runs win2k and the internet connection sharing works fine there,my desktop as win XP pro, Hope this is what you wanted to know if you need more please let me know and i'll post again.

Thanks ajc
Good chance the modem is incompatible with Linux.