Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:14 AM

Unhappy sound issue or lack thereof

I haven't seen my particular problem addressed so here it goes.

The following is just some background: The motherboard on my old pentium 3 computer went out and a friend put together a workable computer (HP with a celeron processor )using some of my old parts (hard drive, cd writer). This may have absolutely no bearing on my problem but I don't know enough about computers.

Anyway my sound is very faint even with the volume all the way up. My friend downloaded updated drivers for the sound system which is Riptide and did what he could, but he can't figure out why the sound is just barely audible. The speakers did great on my old computer and on his own computer.

Would anyone have any idea of where I can even start? I'll try to give any info on my computer I can If you can tell me where to go to find it

THanks a bunch
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:49 AM

Hi reneek,

You mentioned that the sound was turned up?

If you have the speaker icon near the clock, double click on it and make sure the wave etc. vols are turned up all the way. (all displayed except the mic.) which you will have to set only if you use one.

This is just a first crack at your problem. Please post back and perhaps I or someone else on the forum will be able to help further
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:49 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi, welcome to CTH

Since they were working and now you have this proble. He took the right steps. Double check the sound volumn, the sound drivers that were installed may have their own volumn adjustment, if for an example a mixer was installed with the drivers.

START | PROGRAMS

Look for a sound program name that matches your sound card. If you don't find one then try this:

START | FIND | FILES

Type in mixer hit find

Look for a file mixer.exe, if you find it double click on it and there should be a volumn adjustment there.

The standard volumn program that is installed with windows:

START | PROGRAM | ACCESSORIES | Volumn can be overitten by a sound card mixer program.
Old January 15th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Thanks to you both for replying. I have checked the task bar advanced volumes and the master volumes, all are turned all the way up (except the recording). Since I have 2 hard drives I even checked both of the master volume .exe files and they are both showing just fine.

I guess this has been the least of my problems, but I do look funny with my ear pressed up against the speaker

Thanks again. I open to anything anyone might have.
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Do you know the name of the sound card? Riptide??? Do you know what drivers were downloaded?
Old January 15th, 2003, 05:24 AM

From what I can tell by looking in the Device Manager it says Master Riptide PCI Audio Device and then under Drivers it says Provider: Conexant, File Version 4.12.01.2156. I know he downloaded the drivers from Microsoft but thats all I know at this point. Unfortunately my friend is unavailable for the next 2 weeks and I can't ask him.

Is that what you are looking for? If you tell me where to look I can usually find it. I just never know where to look.

You are truly wonderful for helping me.
Old January 15th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Are you sure that the speakers aren't plugged into 'Line Out" by mistake?
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:19 PM

If I plug the speakers into Line in, I do not get any sound at all. If I plug them into Line out, I can just barely hear sound. I have it plugged into the one with the speaker icon and I can hear a little better, but you still have to put your ear to the speaker.
Old January 16th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Although this appears to be an earlier version of the driver it is made specifically for your HP sound card/modem combo. May want to download and install it, see if it fixes the problem.

Go Here

Click on rippc99na.exe to download.
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Murf, I tried downloading the driver, but unfortunately my sound disappeared all together. Would you mind telling me how to put it back the way it was? Thanks again for trying. Maybe, since I did have some sound the sound card just isn't that great, do you think it would help if I just got an amplipher?
Old January 16th, 2003, 05:06 AM

That combo you have is a sound card and a modem, it's outdated.
A amp won't do it, we need to figure out why it's doing that. Replacing the sound/modem with a seperate sound card and a modem is better then replacing in-kind. But a little more expensive.

Faint sound indicates the card is working, it has to be a software problem.

To go back:

START | SETTINGS | CONTROL PANEL

Double click on Add/Remove Programs

Look for something that says riptide or Sound, highlight it and hit remove and follow prompts.

Now reboot, windows should find the card and install the original drivers for it.

If there is nothing in Add/Remove then do this:

START | RUN

Type in the following:

infunist.exe
Hit OK

May bring the uninstall program up if so follow the prompts.

If that don't work then.

Right click on "My Computer" then go to properties, then click on the Device Manager TAB.

Scroll down until you see a + sign next to Sound, Video etc, click on the + Sign.

Highlight the entry for the sound probably something with riptide in it, then hit the remove button.

Hit OK

Get out of Device Manager now go:

START | SEARCH | FILES

Type in the following

rss8007m.inf

When found highlight it and delete it

Now type in:

rss8007.inf and do the same thing

Reboot and the computer should find the card and reinstall the drivers.

Let us know
Old January 17th, 2003, 01:28 AM

AHHH! I found it in the add/remove programs and everything was going fine until I booted up and it started to install the driver. It said it could not find genmidi.wsl file and no sound. I skipped it and finished downloading. Afterwards, I went to find file and found the file in 3 different places once in my c drive and twice in my d drive. But not in the directory where the Riptide file is.
?????????????
Old January 17th, 2003, 02:38 AM

Write down where it is.

Try cut and paste it to the Riptide directory, then reboot.
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Well I copied the file in and rebooted. No sound still. I went back into the file folder and did the setup.exe and it reinstalled the drivers and did not say anything was missing this time and rebooted, but still nothing.
Old January 17th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Click on Start, Run. Put in just "mplayer" in the line, and click OK.

This should take you into Media Player. At the top of Media Player, click on Device, then click on Sound. (If "Sound" is not one of the choices, then Windows doesn't know how to handle wav files, and it means that you need to reinstall your sound drivers.)

Choose one of the longer wave files, such as "The Microsoft Sound" or one of the Jungle sounds, then click OK. This will return you to the Media Player screen.

The Play button is in the lower left corner. Click it once. You should
see the playbar move across from left to right and you should hear the sound; this means Media Player is working properly and the system sound settings are OK.

If the bar moved but you did not hear anything: click on Device, then Volume Control.

Move all of the Balance controls (small sliders) to the middle. Move all Volume controls (vertical sliders) to halfway up. Check ON any checkboxes labeled "Select"; check OFF (no checkmark) any checkboxes labeled "Mute".

Then close the Volume Control screen, and try the Play button on the Media Player again.