Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:34 PM

No Sound from Windows, but POST Dell Diags Play Music Just Fine

I am going more with Vista here than the hardware. Using the Dell Diagnostics after POST, the speakers are fine. The test music plays fine from each speaker and the both, same with headphones in both jacks.

I have uninstalled the driver, rebooted, let it install back, still no sounds (overall, meaning speakers or headphones).

I have reinstalled the drivers manually with the file from Dell, no help.

Disabled/reenabled, no help (although the driver reload would have done this as well).

Any thoughts?

This happened all of the sudden this morning. Sound was working fine too. I was online doing a virtual DICE career fair, listening. Then, just stopped all together. No sound anymore. Volume up to max. No conflicts in Device Manager. No errors. Just, no sound but everything looks normal.

Thank you.

Vista Ultimate SP2
Dell XPS M1730
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5614

Last edited by CyberTrek; August 29th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM

Finally figured it out after this 6h ordeal.

http://en.community.dell.com/support....aspx#19748041

I did have headphones in and they probably pinched the jack when I moved it. I did some wiggling and got the speakers working. Will sue the other headphone jack for now, and as long as moving the laptop does not shake anything, speakers should work fine again. Darn, all the driver uninstalling today. At least all back to normal.

Once I get a new job (still looking after 14 months from layoff), this puppy needs some things fixed and upgraded badly. All my units need work.
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Thanks for the update CyberTrek.