Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Help! I cant download Microsoft updates!

Hi to all.
I have always downloaded my own updates by going to the Windows Update site, but just now I went there and got this:
"Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started."

I appear to have done all this but I am still not allowed to even check for updates, never mind actually download them. I have never had this problem before. Is it a temporary glitch with MS themselves??
Old August 14th, 2004, 01:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

Go back in and set it to Manual. Then Open internet explorer (while online) and go to the address bar and type windows update Do not add anything else to that. When the MS search is done click the second link. (Below the yellow box that is) See if you can run the updates from there.

Also, when did this problem start?
Did you install or uninstall anything prior to this problem starting?
Are you running any Service packs? SP1 or SP2....
Old August 14th, 2004, 06:48 PM

You ask, "Also, when did this problem start?
Did you install or uninstall anything prior to this problem starting?
Are you running any Service packs? SP1 or SP2...."

I was unaware I even had a problem until a few hours ago. I have tried what you suggested but no difference.
I have run two computers over a few years and have never ever had a problem with this. However, this particular computer was upgraded to XP (from ME) about 4 months ago, although I have downloaded things since with no probs.
One possible thing: A few weeks ago I applied some tweaks from your own website's "XP Users Read this first" I am wondering if any problem occurred then. Other than that I have not downloaded anything except for Elwell's Broadband Speed Test - is that suspect??
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Hi campo...see if anything HERE helps you sort it.
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Thanks to you all for your help. I finally had to go to System Restore and there was a restore point just one week back. I was obviously not sure if this restore point went back far enough but was pleased to discover that this did indeed solve my problems. I still have no idea what caused the problem. All I really changed within that week was to download and use the Elwell Broadband Speed Checker.

Thanks again.

Campo.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Glad you sorted it. That restore point was probably created by that download..so that program was probably the culprit. If after the restore the program is now gone...I wouldn't bother downloading it again!