Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old December 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Stand By

1. IPC , 550 PIII , 10GB HD, Win 98se , IE6/OE6, 128 Ram,nVIDIO GeForce 2MX/MX400 3D Acel, 3COM 56K Modem, SMC E2 Card 1211TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI), Linksys 5 Port Hub, Terra Pro Cable modem, 640U , Canon BJC1000 Printer,Zone Alarm, Avast ,Disk Cleaner .

Is my computer as safe from attack while on Stand By as it is when it is shut down ?
I normally use my computer 2hrs/day but leave it on stand by with the monitor shut off for about 4 hrs/day , in case I need it again . After that , I shut it down . I do this in the interest of economy but mostly to minimize the probability of attack from spammers and worse .
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Quote:
"minimize the probability of attack from spammers and worse."
First off, spam will come via email, so on/off status has no effect there. ZoneAlarm, if you've got it configured OK, does a nice job of protection. Not sure if that Linksys has any firewall protection or not.

Obviously, an unplugged PC is a safe one (unless it falls on your foot or something). But it looks like you've got the general idea of how to protect yourself as much as is available, so I wouldn't worry much whether you unplug or simply set to 'standby'. Run an online virus scanner once in awhile, as well as a trojan scanner, and you should be fine.
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
As long as you have a firewall that is setup properly on the computer, there should be no problems. I leave my computer on 24/7 and never had a problem.

If you want to test the security of your pc, go to pcflank and run their online tests.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Stand By

Thanks for the quick replys .I may not be any the wiser but I feel better !!