Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows ME

Notices

Windows ME Problem solving for the Windows ME Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
EXE file association fix for ME?

Hello.
I can no longer use EXE files. Does anyone here know a way of restoring their proper assocation, without a format or re-install? I have already googled for a solution myself, but i can only find XP fixes,which don't work.

I caused the problem myself, when i stupidly and accidentally made an EXE association in the 'Tools>Folder Options>File Types' Dialog. Even after removing it, I still can't run EXE files directly. When I try to run a program, I get an 'Open with...' dialog, as if EXE were an unrecognised file format.

I have worked out a temporary workaround, as a program will still run if you tell Windows to open a file associated with the program, rather than running the program directly. For example, to run my web browser, I created an empty file called "_.FIREFOX", and made an oassociation for FIREFOX files to be opened by firefox.exe.

This solution doesn't always work however, and as you can imagine, it is fiddly and annoying to have to do this for every new program you want to use. Does anyone know how to fix the probem for good (using regedit etc)? Thank you for your time.
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello there Iain Elder, welcome to CTH!

An exe file does not need to have a file type in Windows since it is an executable file. It should be a program that something else is opened with. Windows inherently knows what to do with an executable (*.exe, *.com, *.bat) so there is no need to set any "open with" properties for executables.

Sounds like you might have some spyware or even a virus. You should head on over to the "Cyber Safety" forum here and have some of the folks there help you out before trying anything else.
Old November 28th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Thank you for your reply, but I don't think you understand. *I* caused the problem, not a virus. I know exactly what I did to cause it, and I could reproduce it; I just don't know how to reverse it. I think what I really mean is that I don't want a file association fix, but i want Windows to properly recognise EXEs again.

I know that windows normally knows internally how to handle EXEs, COMs, BATs etc. But after accidentally defining EXE as a file type, i seem to have stopped it being able to use EXEs properly.

I suspect the problem is in the registry, but I am not overly confident about changing any key values unless I'm certain that i know what I'm doing.
I'm slowly facing up to the possible reality that I may have to re-install Windows to rectify the problem, but I would be very thankful if someone could tell me how to fix it instead.

ps Thanks for the welcome! This site looks very helpful, I may use it often!

Last edited by IainElder; November 28th, 2004 at 05:13 PM. Reason: I forgot something
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi,
Try this http://filext.com/faq/idx/2/016/How_to/article/
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy
Thanks, Degsy! This is exactly what I was looking for. Everything is working normally again. I'll keep a copy of that for future reference. Thanks again, man.
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

no probs
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Another good reference for help with file extensions is FileInfo.net. I like the interface better than Filext.com.