Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:59 AM

Have focus problems on Internet, emails etc...

Hello someone,

How I hope that you can give me an answer... one that I can follow easily! I sent an email to Cybertech a while back but did not see any answer. My guess is that I did not sign in the way I should have! Sorry. I really hope you can help me and my vision!
By the way this email to you is very light grey! (same as "gray" in the U.S.!)

I have a problem... the problem is with reading messages and contents on sites I got to such as the financial news of Yahoo or Google, or any sites I go to to check on something I would like to get information about. I have no problems to make characters larger or smaller... I know how to do that... but the text (even on this email I am sending) are of a light grey and sometimes very light blue colour... I would like that the print on my monitor be BLACK and not this bloody light grey or light blue... I already have sight problems (heck at 83 one can have some sight problems even do one eats lots of carrots!)
I was told to go to CLEAR TYPE and do this and that... well that did not help at all or possibly I did not follow the instructions well... I have done that over and over again, and I still get this light grey or light blue characters, actually this email to you is very light grey, though I could change that by clicking the colour change down the bottom... I also know how to do that! Unfortunately even though that is easy, when I go to a window I can;t do do that except I can make the text larger but it still is either light grey or light blue... so if anyone has an idea how to help me fix this situation I would certainly appreciate - I tried Microsoft Forum something, the Geek Squad... no good answer and unfortunately I am not very good at technology... though I used computers when there were no screens just punch cards, and the programmes used were FORTRAN IV and some other programmes I can;t remember the names right now. That is my training!
Anyway I hope someone in your wonderful group of techno people will be able to help me... thank you in advance.
Gino aka Gene and Gianni
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Gianni, what sort of monitor do you have, the make and model may help also.
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:14 PM

In answer to Ned Seagoon

Hello Ned and thank you for asking... my monitor is not the newest but it works fine except that the characters are light grey as I mentioned. Here is the data on the monitor:

ACER MONITOR

Model = X193W
Version: X193W BD
Serial Number: ETLAT051837DBBDB24017
SNID 83790005040

I hope this helps. Thank you for your answer and I hope this will reach you.
Gianni (Gino)
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thanks, your monitor is a bit elderly,and the usual reason of such a monitor going out of focus/blurry is that one of the internal voltages has gone out of spec.

There are a few adjustments available on the monitor which may be sufficient to pull it back to a more reasonable picture.

Take a look at a couple of youtube videos for a tutorial on how to do this see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9iEKhEYtI

Alternativlty ebay has some second hand monitors for around $30 if all else fails.

Give the tutorial a go and please let us know how you get on.

Good luck
Old June 9th, 2017, 12:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
There are several reasons for text problems. As mention the monitor could be one. If this occurs no matter what your doing i.e., word processor, watching something, reading web pages, then most likely a monitor problem.

There are a couple of things to check;

If by chance you have a separate graphics card then in control panel you should see a icon for it.

Right click START then to Control Panel

Do you by chance see a icon called NVIDIA Control Panel? If so double click it to open it. Now select DISPLAY>Adjust desktop color settings>then slide the "GAMMA" control up for lighter, down for darker.

Easy fix open your graphics control panel, select display, then color settings and alter the gamma (up for lighter down for darker) easy, play with it see if it makes a difference.

Also you video driver could be corrupt, you will need to go to the manufactures page to obtain the latest driver.

If it is a store bought desktop then post the make and model here and we can help find it.
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Light characters on my ACER screen...

Hello again Ned Seagoon and Murf!

Yep, my ACER is somewhat "aged" not as old 83-year old me! I am going to go to Office Depot/Office Max and get me a new monitor possibly this weekend. Hopefully this will take care of the problem I have with light characters. These light characters actually do not show when I send emails or get emails... these come up only when I got to a web page to search for something or the Yahoo or the Google financial pages - this email I am sending to you to thank you is also light grey. Oh well... this is not the end of the world.
By the way MURF I smiled when I saw your "stage name" because I remember you helping me with some problems I had years back, 8, 9, 15 years ago... I smiled at seeing your code name as I thought of MURF THE SURF then! It has been years since this happened and I hope you are the same person!
Anyway, thank you both MURF & NED... I'll let you know if a new screen will do the trick!
Slàinte... arrivederci, au revoir, auf Wiedersehen, hasta luego, ciao and bye bye
Gianni
Old June 13th, 2017, 03:42 AM

Well I have been her since 2001 so probably the same. although you got me by about 10 years Let us know, but still worth checking out the driver issue.
Old June 13th, 2017, 05:50 AM

ACER monitor

Hello again Murf (The Surf) :-)
Wow... that's 16 years ago... I was a bit younger then! I am going to Office Max/Office Depot and get a new monitor... they have an HP 20 inch in diagonal on sale - so I'll get that.. hopefully I will get better luck and my eyes will not squint! I saw an ad quite a while back for some kind of magnifier that one can put in front of a monitor and it aggrandizes the letters... but first I'll get a new monitor!
Thank you so much for your help and Ned's help. I sure appreciate that.

Gianni
Old June 17th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Hello again Murf & Ned Seagoon,

Just so you know... I went to Office Depot/Office Max and bought a 22 inch across Samsung monitor... I am so proud that I was able to be able to replace the other ACER one... the screen is larger and that helps... but the text on any windows I open (I use Google) still is that light grey. Hopefully I will figure out a way to make the characters dark on any windows I open... but at least the screen is quite larger and that somehow helps my "seeing left eye" - just wanted to let you know that it does not seem that the ACER monitor was at fault... maybe before I hit the age of 100 the characters on the pages I open will not show up light grey but dark black, ebon, inky black! :-)
Anyway, again thank you for your help. Have a nice weekend.
Gianni
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Then the Video DRIVER is the issue as it happens with another monitor.
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:58 AM

Hello Murf,

Video driver... okay... it needs to gas up I guess... :-)
Well, thank you for your reply... possibly my son may help out as tomorrow he is coming up for "Papa's Day" -
As a matter of fact if you are a papa, I wish you a Happy Father's Day! Enjoy.

Gianni
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM

Thanks, yep have 3 of them, oldest is 50, but still call her kid....LOL Happy Fathers Day to you also.
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:51 PM

Hello Murf,

Thank you for your wishes... I have two, a son from my late wife who will be 57 next month and a daughter from my present wife who will be 25 in September... we will all be here to enjoy my cooking of Copper River salmon filet, French oven roast potatoes, asparagus, green & tomato salad, baguette and for dessert a home made small strawberry tart with crème fraîche and chocolate chips on top! For me a glass of red wine as it is good for the health! :-D
Enjoy Father's Day! Slàinte!
Gianni
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:58 AM

Hi, it is possible to improve on the appearance of windows ten. MS removed the Vista, 7 "Windows color and appearance" options from 10. However the registry keys for these mod's still exist in win 10. If you use the windows color and appearance settings on a win 7 machine, like what you see then copy the relevant reg key's (as binary files, easy if you export the keys, copy to a flash drive) you can import them into 10.

The keys you need are:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Also in 10 you can increase the text size I am also old and use 125%. To access press win + r keys and type:-

dpiscaling (press OK)

MS use Segoe font as default, you can change this as well using the registry.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:26 AM

Light grey text characters etc...

Hello Jenae,
Sorry for delay in answering... am not being senile, I just get busy with several things that occur here - thank you for your input regarding making the texts darker etc... I know how to enlarge them, no problem there... that light grey just bugs me as I prefer ink black! :-)
I don't know if you saw one of my latter answers to MURF just before Father's Day... I purchased a new 22" across monitor hoping this might help the colour - that did not make it... an ex-student of mine who just retired from Intel told me to check the Intel gadget I have in my CPU... well, it is "OLD" and not much can be done to "update" it... well, for the time being I shall live with what I have and there are two or three places nearby where I can have a new CPU built according to my wishes, one that will have 3,5 disc hard drive, one drive also for the 100MB discs, and then two drives for CD's. Of course this may take some time.. the CPU I now have, built for me has all what I wish to have except no hard drive for the 100MB (thick) disks and I really need that.
But this is not the end of the world, nor all the water of a sea to drink... so life goes on and eventually I may get all straightened out before I hit 100! :-)
Thank you again for your input... I will try to do as you say... who knows the INTEL ding-ding built into my CPU may do as it was before I changed from Windows 7 to 10 and I certainly am not crazy about Windows 10... I preferred the old XP!
Ciao and grazie mille, thank you, vielen Dank, merci beaucoup, Thank you very much.
Gianni