Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old May 13th, 2020, 07:53 AM

Unable to print to a network printer

I am unable to print to a network printer hooked up to another pc. Both are running Win 10. Last time this happened I switched from manual to automatic the services "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication". As well as enabled file and print sharing. And enabled SMB in windows features, but it still will not work. I have also shared the printer in "Printer Properties" What am I overlooking?
Thanx
Jim
Old May 13th, 2020, 01:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Jim are you able to print from the computer that the printer is connected to?

Are you able print from the other computer if you move the printer connection to it?

Do you have the appropriate printer driver installed on the computer from which you are unable to print?

Answers to these will help pinpoint where the problem lies.
Old May 14th, 2020, 12:32 AM

Yes I can print from the PC that the printer is connected to. And as far as I know the printer driver is the correct one. The second question I do not know, because the printer is in the other room and is not hooked up to this PC. I thought I could hook up the printer wirelessly, because it is after all a wireless printer, however it says that I need a WAP with an SSID and a password. I do not have a WAP as I have always used a wired connection in my home. I do not have a wireless router or modem. Both PC's on my home network do have wireless capabilities though, so I was thinking there was some way to hook the PC up to the printer wirelessly. The printer does not show up anywhere in my available networks. So I'm not sure what is going on.
Thanx
Jim
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:39 AM

I did get it to work finally. I had to set things up as an Ad Hoc network printer, however I still cannot print with my wired network. Not sure why.
Jim
Old May 14th, 2020, 04:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
did you install the printer driver?
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I am unable to print to a network printer hooked up to another pc.
A bit late to the game but that is NOT a networked printer.

A network printer is connected to the network. That is, it is connected directly to an Ethernet switch (typically one of the 4-ports on the router), or to a USB port on the router, or via wifi to the router.

A printer that is connected to another computer is a "shared" printer. A shared printer is not the same as a networked printer. With a shared printer, the "host" computer must be up and running. With a networked printer, no "host" computer is required at all.

To be sure we are on the same page, a WAP is a wireless access point. It can be a separate "network" device but typically, it is integrated with a router device marketed as a wireless router.

And yes, when going wireless, you must have a WAP. Wireless printing devices are designed to connect to the network via the WAP. Not to a PC even if that PC has wifi capability.

I assume your router has a 4-port Ethernet switch on it. To "network" your printer (so all computers in the house can print), you need to connect the printer to an Ethernet port on the router. That assumes the printer is networkable and has an Ethernet port. If not, you will need to buy a separate print server.
Old May 14th, 2020, 08:16 PM

I clearly remember doing this as I outlined above without a separate print server as I do not have an Ethernet port on my printer. I believe I was running win 7 at the time here in my bedroom and the living room was running win 10. I remember I had to turn on SMB in windows features and also had to turn on Function Discovery in services. I will try some other things in the meantime. You are correct it is a "shared" printer and not a networked printer.
Thanx
Jim
Old May 14th, 2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I clearly remember doing this as I outlined above without a separate print server as I do not have an Ethernet port on my printer.
You don't need a print server if you are "sharing" a printer that is connected to another computer.

Note that many routers have built in print servers so you can connect a printer to the router via USB - assuming the printer uses USB. That then makes it a networked printer.
Old May 15th, 2020, 12:09 AM

Unfortunately I do not have a USB connection on my router and in addition the way my house is wired makes it impractical to place my printer near my router, there are too many other items in the way.
Jim
Old May 15th, 2020, 04:17 PM

Well, there are wireless USB print servers - as well as Ethernet print servers you plug the printer into, then connect to the router. They can get a bit pricey but it really is a whole lot easier (and more secure) to set up and use a networked printer than trying to share a printer that is tethered to a host computer.

Have you considered a new printer, one that has network support built in?

One of the biggest advantages to a networked printer is you can put it anywhere in the house where network access is available.

See: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ith-homegroup/