Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
McAfee Trojan W32/Rimecud.gen.az and East-Tec Eraser - moved by Jintan

My McAfee program SecurityCenter 'virus definitions' has been updated and it is suddenly putting 4 files from East-Tec eraser into quarantine (supposedly infected by Trojan W32/Rimecud.gen.az) and there is no way of treating the files as 'Trusted'. I cannot now use East-Tec Eraser. If I try to reinstall East-Tec eraser then McAfee immediately deletes the files again:-

All of the files start "C:\Program Files (x86)\East-Tec Eraser 2011\"
The final part of the 4 file references after the last slash are:-
(i) ETERASER.EXE
(ii) ETRISKMON.EXE
(iii) ETSCHEDULER.EXE
(iv) ETDRIVEWIPER.EXE

I have been wondering if McAfee might be giving a false reading because I have been using this software for ages without problem. I have tried having a web on-line chat with a McAfee technician but I don't think he could understand my query and he took me down a route that wasn't much help to me. It was a frustrating outing with one of those web 'call centre' type places. I can restore the files but they get deleted again almost as fast as I restore them so I cannot send the files to McAfee any other way. Perhaps I could disable McAfee but that doesn't seem a wise route to take.

When I go to quarantine I try to send the files to McAfee but a message appears to say the files are too big to send. Not much help really.

I have contacted East-Tec by email to see if they can offer an explanation and I still await a reply. Maybe no news is good news as they say; perhaps they are working on the issue. In the meantime I just wondered if anybody else has had a problem like mine and if anyone, wiser than me, has any knowledge of the cause (real Trojan or false alarm)? I have seen on the web that another program seems to be suffering a similar fate but there is nothing about East-Tec.

I have Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1.
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:17 AM

Unhappy

Hi oh boy. I have just been on chat with McAfee support myself. Suddenly have 2 games being hit by your same 'trojan'. It would seem from my point of view, they have updated dat files which now impact. Very frustrating as they requested i send game exe but its too big. Am totally stuck. Am looking at maybe changing from McAfee. Cannot even restore my quarantined files just keeps thinking.

Wish you luck.
Cheers
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello to both of you. Since this is not a malware issue, and this forum applies these posting restrictions, let's move this to the CTH Applications forum, where others can participate and provide ideas.
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:03 AM

Talking

Hi mcAfee just fixed the issue with updates. Yes.
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:38 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thank you maryvdt for taking the time to respond. I cannot quite see where you are located but I imagine you are west of the UK to have been posting in the early hours/middle of the night (UK time). Your last post lifted the gloom considerably. Knowledge is everything. If you hadn't posted I wouldn't have known. You know what they say "You don't know what you don't know!" So, having switched on, updated my McAfee, and downloaded East-Tec Eraser again everything is working properly. I am thinking there is a fundamental flaw in the McAfee program that doesn't allow the user to put files in the TRUSTED 'box'. Not to be done lightly but the facility ought to be there. THANKS!!