Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > MacOS

Notices

MacOS Problem solving for all MacOS versions

Topic Tools
Old September 1st, 2002, 06:01 PM

How To Uninstall Osx

GOT A NEW COMPUTER FROM MY MOM IT HAS 9.2 AND OSX ON IT TO CUT IT SHORT I NEED TO START FROM SCRATCH. I TRIED RE INSTALLING BUT IT SAVED ALL OF HER ORIGINAL INFO. I WANT A CLEAN SLATE. I DONT MIND THE 9.2 AS IS. I AM A NEW MAC USER SO I AM NOT TERRIBLY SAVY WITH EITHER. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR THINGS TO TRY???

Last edited by joko; September 1st, 2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2002, 09:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Joko, welcome

put the OS9 CD in and restart holding down the C key, once it's booted up (it will be s l o w from the CD) run Drive Setup from the CD and you can format the hard drive, then install OS9.

Be absolutely certain you have the CDs to reinstall all of your software before doing this, and that you have copies of all important files elsewhere.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
...or, boot into OS9 with extensions off. Trash the OSX system folder.

You can also trash the ProxyApp, Classic, Classic Suport UI, and Classic Support files in the OS9.2 system folder if you feel so inclined. Although that's not absolutely necessary. A clean install of OS9.2 will include these files and generally don't cause any problems on a system without OSX installed.
Old September 8th, 2002, 06:33 AM

Partitioning for OS X and 9

If you want to start from scratch, I would recommend the following:
Set up three partitions, assuming you have a Mac with a good size hard drive. You can boot with the OS 9.2.? CD, use drive setup to reinitialize the drive (thereby deleting the previous X and 9). You will need to choose Custom (from within Drive Setup), so that you can decide how many partitions to create.
I use three:
1. OS X 10.2 - 10GB
2. OS 9.2.2 - 2 GB
3. Documents/Applications - remainder of drive space.

The rationale, is that if you need to reinstall OS 10, especially if you have to go thru all the updates, then you can do it to the OS X partition, without fear of losing your documents. You have to do a few manipulations to make sure OS X saves your documents in the third partition (otherwise you could lose all of your iPhoto libraries for example). I then install any additional software to the third partition (some programs will not allow that, but alot do allow it). My OS's are on separate partitions, and if they get thorough corrupted, requiring a new install, I can do it without disturbing my valuable Documents part.

Good luck with your new Mac.
Old September 8th, 2002, 01:54 PM

troubles gone

steven, buzz and mac thanks for the replies. the computer is up ans running. I did reformat the hd and it worked. though when I did it I had a coulple of questions about formatting. so you guys answered my questions and the questions had before I even asked them. Sorry if I did not post my previous message in the proper spot as I said I am new at this. Wher do you post support questions for the future because I am sure there will be some. But thanks again for your help

joko
Old September 8th, 2002, 03:41 PM

If you reformulate your HD again joko and decide on partitioning.
Pending the size of your HD, I'd either go for three partitions (as stated above) or add another making four.

OS Xxxx around-10/14GBs
OS 9xxx around-10/12 GBs [note:two as posted above is no where near enough]
Apps/programs or whatever you care to name it {pending size left over}-20/25GBs
Storage or whatever again .. for just that -what's left over on your HD.
Old September 8th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
A bit of info noone cares about.

I have 5 partitions on my workhorse machine:
OS9.2.2 and all the applications that go with it
OSX and all the applications that go with it
A documents volume

A second internal drive partitioned as:
An empty volume for use as scratch space for Adobe products (highly recommended for Photoshop & Illustrator)
And a junk volume for temporary storage for items until they are completed.
Old September 9th, 2002, 01:03 AM

Thumbs up

OS 9xxx around-10/12 GBs [note:two as posted above is no where near enough]

Bill: I have a small OS 9 partition, because as I install software, I prefer to install the programs in the separate Documents/Apps partition, if the program allows that. If the OS partition gets too corrupted for DiskWarrior, TTP, etc to fix, then it is not as involved to do a complete reinstall of just the OS. Alternatively, I could do a clean install, and then merge the old and new System Folder, but I like to start fresh if I am going to reinstall the OS (certainly not my first choice of troubleshooting a problem). Then I am up and running programs sooner, the exception being those programs such as printer drivers, etc that have components that must be placed in the System Folder. Programs such as Microsoft Office or Graphic Converter make it easier, since they are self contained programs, that can easily be copied to a partition that does not contain the System Folder.
Old September 9th, 2002, 02:56 AM

partitions

ok guys now back to the novice. My main work I plan to do on the machine is edit video. I have allready taxed the hd to its capacity. (I try to put as much video on as I can at once). if I partition wont that make hd space un available.
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:33 AM

MacMarvel,
you really,really need to read more comprehensible instead of marveling at your own post so much.
I do the same. 'Except' 2gbs for OS 9xxx is still not justifiable.

joko. If that is the case. No. Although I would think about compressing the video. Which will save some space. Or another option would be getting an external storage drive. Then of course a larger hd or a second. Just to name a few off hand.
Reads like your going to have some fun.!. <gr>
That's what it's all about guy. If you can or want to make some green while you're at it ... hey.

Hi Ya Mr. Bentley! Haven't yacked with you in a blue moon.
It is blue over on that side of the pond.?. Right!
Then with all those double decker buses, surprised you can even see the cheese ball.

See me.
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Hi Ya Mr. Bentley! Haven't yacked with you in a blue moon.
It is blue over on that side of the pond.?. Right!
Then with all those double decker buses, surprised you can even see the cheese ball.
It's getting dark at the moment, depressingly early

Cheese ball?? lol (can I have a pint of whatever Bill's had please?)
Old September 11th, 2002, 02:00 AM

"(Cheese ball?? lol (can I have a pint of whatever Bill's had please?)"

Some of the Chickens finest. Pssst ... You didn't hear that from me.